I have the following problem with a servlet in production on the Internet. I am using POST in a servlet to send the data to the servlet. I see in the log from the servlet that in rare cases the post parameters received in the servlet are null, and when I try to read the values I get a null value
(request.getParameter("data") returns null).

I have managed to recreate this problem in one specific browser, IE 6.0.2800.1106CO, SP1, on Windows NT. If I use "Back" in the browser and try again, it doesn't return a null value.

Do you have any idea how can I solve this problem?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I have the following problem with a servlet in production on the Internet. I am using POST in a servlet to send the data to the servlet. I see in the log from the servlet that in rare cases the post parameters received in the servlet are null, and when I try to read the values I get a null value
(request.getParameter("data") returns null).

I have managed to recreate this problem in one specific browser, IE 6.0.2800.1106CO, SP1, on Windows NT. If I use "Back" in the browser and try again, it doesn't return a null value.

Do you have any idea how can I solve this problem?

Thanks

Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem?

Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem?

Could you post your code?

Could you post your code?

I cannot post the actual code due to confidentiality agreements but it's very simple.. It happens spuratically on all servlets. Something as simple as request.getParameter("parameter_name") inside of the doPost methods. Randomly the server does not get any of the parameters, at least they come up with null values.

We have not been able to reproduce this at all, the client runs anything from IE5.x-IE6.x..

The post is being done mainly by AJAX callls using the XHConn library.

I am not asking you to post the complete code, but some snippets might be helpful in helping you.

Since you mentioned AJAX, is the request being handled asynchronously?

Yes, its an asyncronous post. Its simply looking up data in hidden fields, escaping them, and doing an http post to the servlet. This works perfect in all test environments but I would say that 1% of the userbase experiences this glitch.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.