I am working on a program in c and I am trying to declare a ten element array, using a for loop to insert the elements. I am also using a second for loop to acquire the sum of all the elements in the array. I'm new to programming so I am curious where I am going wrong with this program.

1. #include <stdio.h>
2. void main()
3. {
4. int sum = 0;
5. int arayvalues[10];
6. int n = 0;
7. for (n = 0; n < 10; n = n + 1)
8. {
9. printf("Input an integer:");
10. scanf"("%d", &arayvalues);
11. }
12. int i = 0;
13. for(i = 0; i < 5; i = i + 1)
14. {
15. sum = sum + arayvalues;
16. }
17. printf("The sum is:", sum);
18. return;
19. }

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Not a bad first effort but there are a few things: main() always returns an int, and is not void.

You need to specify that you want &arayvalues[n] on line #10.

Your second loop should be to 10 unless you want to add only the first 5 values together. Give yourself a small challenge and see if you can do it all in one loop.

Finally, just a stylistic thing but n = n+1 is usually abbreviated n++ (same for i obviously). If you want your code to be C89 compliant you should move line 12 up after line 6, at the top of the block with the others.

Your second loop should be to 10 unless you want to add only the first 5 values together. Give yourself a small challenge and see if you can do it all in one loop.

Hello
line 10;

scanf"("%d", &arayvalues);

should be

scanf("%d", &arayvalues[n]);

Specify where you want to store the integer value in the array thats just about it..

code will finally be

#include <stdio.h>
int sum = 0;
    int arayvalues[10];
    int n = 0;

for (n = 0; n < 10; n = n + 1) {
        printf("Input an integer:");
        scanf("%d", &arayvalues[n]);
    }

int i = 0;
    //addition of elements in array.

for (i = 0; i < 10; i = i + 1) {

sum = sum + arayvalues[i];

}
    printf("The sum is:%d", sum);
return 0;

Not a bad first effort but there are a few things: main() always returns an int, and is not void.

Finally, just a stylistic thing but n = n+1 is usually abbreviated n++ (same for i obviously). If you want your code to be C89 compliant you should move line 12 up after line 6, at the top of the block with the others.

i hv some q based on this ans im also a new
main() alwys returns an int bt progrm also runs when main returns void... and plz explain it and why main reqr return type

commented: Dnt hjck othr ppls thrds -- and this is not SMS!! -1

Madawar, thank you very much. It worked great. I had been staring at the same program for too long, and I missed all the syntax errors. I just needed someone else to point it out.

Thanks Again

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.