public class HelloW
{

public static void main(String[]args)
{
println("hi, im aileen an it student, can you help me improve my knowledge with the different languages?");
println("thanks");
}
}

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Step one: Please use the (CODE) button when you post code. All kinds of good things result (and less good things if not)

Step two: What languages are of interest? If you are thinking to learn a little about all the ways of programming, then you should probably pick one or more from each of these classes (don't spend much time learning the historic ones, but do learn a little bit):

• descriptive (declarative): Prolog, SQL, make, ant
  • prescriptive:

• Historic: Algol, COBOL, FORTRAN
    • C-like: C, C++, C#, Java (pascal, Modula2, javascript)
    • functional: APL, lisp/scheme,
    • Object Oriented: C++, Modula2, Java, Python
    • Scripting: Python, Perl, bash/ksh
    • unix tools/tiny languages: sed, awk
    • specialized: Mathematica, Maple, Flash/ActionScript, HTML/CSS, (La)Tex, XML, Postscript, spread sheets

Here is Wikipedia's article on programming language categories.
Step three: Look for tutorials on some of the interesting languages. Most times, there is a good tutorial online that can be found by searching for language tutorial

Step 4: Do the tutorial. Play with it. Solve some real to you problem using the language. Ask for help at DaniWeb if you need it. Repeat from 3.

I suggest you start with scheme or/and Python and probably bash unless you are already a programmer in some language. In that case: Expand your base.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.