does vb 6 and above support cross operating system compatibility. i mean can applications developed in vb be deployed on other operating systems apart from windows and if they can what is the level of vb compared to other renowned programming languages like c++ and java.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

As far as I know it should. I have tried a small app a while back on an apple mac and it worked fine. I suppose you just need to ensure that all the run time files for vb6 is included AND if any reference has been made to Windows API, include those as well.

Let us know if you found more to this.

As far as I know it should. I have tried a small app a while back on an apple mac and it worked fine. I suppose you just need to ensure that all the run time files for vb6 is included AND if any reference has been made to Windows API, include those as well.

Let us know if you found more to this.

if I used API in my application, then install that application it in Windows 7, will it work fine as long as I include its dll?...

Depends on what you have used. If you have used a feature elusively only in say XP or only in Vista, you might have a problem in 7. Some other features though like shadow drawing in Vista or 7 will not generate errors at all, it will only not show the shadows in XP for instance. There is unfortunately no specified list available of what is exclusive to XP, Vista and 7. You have to play around testing on the different OS's if you have it available to you. Once you start programming in win7 though and use its features, it is almost certain that your app will not run on XP and vice versa, unless you run XP mode in win7.

I am busy compiling a help file and will post it soon eneough for readers that want to know whether their apps will work on other OS's.

Depends on what you have used. If you have used a feature elusively only in say XP or only in Vista, you might have a problem in 7. Some other features though like shadow drawing in Vista or 7 will not generate errors at all, it will only not show the shadows in XP for instance. There is unfortunately no specified list available of what is exclusive to XP, Vista and 7. You have to play around testing on the different OS's if you have it available to you. Once you start programming in win7 though and use its features, it is almost certain that your app will not run on XP and vice versa, unless you run XP mode in win7.

I am busy compiling a help file and will post it soon eneough for readers that want to know whether their apps will work on other OS's.

:D wow.. Thanks a lot. I will wait for that help file. I cant test out my app in other OS cause I don't have Vista and windows 7.

I have just posted the help file, enjoy.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.