Hey

Ive been hearing about Netbeans but Id like alternatives. Any out there? If the program is not written in Java (ironic I know) I would perfer it.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Eclipse is the other "big" one.

I tried Eclipse once with C and didnt really like it much; Switched from Eclipse to Codeblocks (all this C) and fell in love :P Too bad Codeblocks cant do (complie) Java

I used Eclipse very happily when I was coding a lot in Java. Lots of nice short cuts, useful plugins (and not too hard to add or modify them), an OK way to handle version control stuff, acceptable screen layout with reasonable options (cannot get a perfect screen layout because there is too much wanted at the same time). I never tried Netbeans, partly because Eclipse was more than adequate.

Member Avatar for coil

I've tried NetBeans and Eclipse, and they're not bad, but the interface seems a bit...cluttered to me. I personally prefer JCreator, but it's Windows-only.

Hey

Ive been hearing about Netbeans but Id like alternatives. Any out there? If the program is not written in Java (ironic I know) I would perfer it.

Thanks

Would you care to explain more? You need an IDE and it supposed to handle other languages or you just want IDE that is not based on Java?
IDEs like IntelliJ IDEA, Eclipse and NetBeans usually have plugin or add on that supports other languages.

@coil
You may like JCreator now because is simple, but in future you will have to learn one of above as JCreator is aimed for students only and no serious development...

Would you care to explain more? You need an IDE and it supposed to handle other languages or you just want IDE that is not based on Java?

My mistake for not explaining right :)
My ideal IDE would be a IDE that is not written in Java but can code and comply Java code.

Netbeans is a very good option.

Apart from this I have also worked on eclipse. Both of them are really cool to work with

My mistake for not explaining right :)
My ideal IDE would be a IDE that is not written in Java but can code and comply Java code.

I know that NetBeans is Java based as it started some 12-15 years as university final year project in Prague. Become community popular, but then Sun Microsystems took over and version 4 was in bad ways. Seeing they mistake after year something they gave it back to community but damage was done.
IntelliJ Idea is Java based.
Eclipse I know is mostly Java, but there should be some core in C/C++. Oracle has their JDeveloper (seen demo, but I wouldn't touch it, big confusing fur ball) Java build. There are some other IDEs, but you wouldn't see them in industry as they are mostly students IDEs like JCreator, BlueJ.

Anyway you still did not explain your reason why you looking for IDE for Java that is not Java built.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.