hey guys, thanks for looking at this. I'm new to java and need help with this one problem. What i need to do is,
3) Write a program that calculates and displays a person’s body mass index (BMI). The BMI is often used to determine whether a person with a sedentary lifestyle is overweight or underweight for his or her height. A person’s BMI is calculated with the following formula:

BMI = weight* 703/ height2 

Where weight is measured in pounds and height is measured in inches. The program should display a message indicating whether the person has optimal weight, is underweight, or is overweight. A sedentary person’s weight is considered optimal if his or her BMI is between 18.5 and 25. If the BMI is less than 18.5, the person is considered underweight. If the BMI value is greater than 25, the person is considered overweight.

so far my code looks like this and i am just stuck and dont know where to go from here ( or if im even on the right track)

any comments or help would be great.

I know this code is not complete at all but i just dont know where to really go from here. Im not positive on how i can put this part of the problem in
A sedentary person’s weight is considered optimal if his or her BMI is between 18.5 and 25. If the BMI is less than 18.5, the person is considered underweight. If the BMI value is greater than 25, the person is considered overweight.

// This program is to determine someone's bmi
import javax.swing.JOptionPane;
  public class body_mass_index
{
  public static void main (String [] args)
  {
    String input;
    int bmi;
     int weight;
    int height;

input= JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Please enter your weight");
    weight= Integer.parseInt(input);

input = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Please enter your height");
    height = Integer.parseInt(input);

if (bmi>18.5)
    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Your weight is considered Optimal");

}
}

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Use if statements following the logic of the statements you have in bold letters.

Do you know how to write a multipart condition test in an if statement.
For example: if(exp1 oper exp2) where cond1 and cond2 are boolean expressions (like: a < 4) and oper is a boolean operator like && or ||

yes. I somewhat know how

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.