Hi all

I am a beginner programmer, and I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew.I've done some small projects, and then decided to do a simple banking app, just as a learning exercise. Problem is I don't know where to begin, and I've not created classes before, so that makes it even trickier. Should I do back-end first, or do the GUI first??????

Please help!!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi, and welcome to programming...
If you are creating WinForms App or some other, 1st you create GUI, then you start creating the code, using the Controls (and their methods) putted onto the GUI.
This is for the beginnng.
When you will become a bit more advanced, you can create Controls and their methods by the code (You do not need to put them on the form - becuase when you manually put some control, lets say a TextBox on the form, C# automatically creates the code for it. Take a look into YourForm.Designer.cs file for the code).

Manual creation of the control and it`s method:

//CALL THIS METHOD IN FORM LOAD (OR SOMEWHERE BEFORE YOU INTEND TO USE THE TEXTBOX):
        private void CreatingNewTextBox()
        {
            TextBox textBox1 = new TextBox();
            textBox1.Name = "textBox1";
            textBox1.Size = new Size(100, 20);
            textBox1.Location = new Point(20, 20);
            this.Controls.Add(textBox1);
            textBox1.TextChanged += new EventHandler(textBox1_Click);
        }

//CREATE NEW METOHD FOR TEXTBOX (THIS IS AN EXAMPLE, THERE IS PLENTY OF METHODS AVAILABLE):
        private void textBox1_TextChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {

}

Thanks, have started drawing my different forms on a piece of paper, and working out what exactly I need to do after that. I'm already wandering what the best and easiest way will be for me to save customer data, Database seem complicated to read and write to, txt file doesn't seem right??? But I'm getting ahead of myself again. Basics first.

Just take it easy, get some book that you will get the basic knowledge. Even the internet has a lot of example code, but start with simple things, and do not let your self to get invalved into some serious and demanding project - at least not in the beginning (this usually takes from 1 -2 years).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.