Okay so I am a newer programmer and have no clue how to use the language fortran77. All I know is I have the source code for the old game Adventure. Here is where I downloaded it from

Where I Downloaded Files

I have no clue how to use this fortran code I aquired, but I really want to understand it (this was a game my father use to play when he was young and I want to remake it for him, as well for myself)

Also can you tell what these files are I downloaded? (I opened them with notepad and I can view them fine, but I assume that their is 2 file total the rest are versions of the file, but I have no clue).

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You make me feel old, I used to play this and converted it to BASIC at one time :)

The files are the fortran source (and it looks like 3 copies of the same thing), the other is the data file. The data file format starts with the location number, and the text for that location (possibly multiple lines), and ends with the -1. The rest is the room links (how do you get from one room to another) with direction and room numbers (plus special flags). I'd have to read the source to get the exact description of each one, and I don't feel like doing that right now :)

Some things about fortran:
The IMPLICIT line says that any variable that starts with A-Z is an integer by default.
A 'C' in the first column is a comment, otherwise it is a label (first 6 characters of each line aren't used for code).
Every READ (of a file) has a FORMAT line that describes what the line looks like. You'll have to research that, it's been a long time since I've programmed fortran.

There are many ports of this game to various languages, but if I were you I'd do my own port, it's a good learning experience :)

thank you, I kind of understand what you are saying, and I want to do my own port. I would enjoy it alot more. By the way, xyzzy

If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. plover.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.