Hey, I am trying to install the Java sdk on my computer. I downloaded the newest version 5.0_04 and I installed it. It seemed to work up until the end when an error came up, saying it didn't install properly. Here is the error, "Java update cannot retreive version information from the targeted directory." Then another error came up saying Error 1772 saying it did not finish as expected. Any info on how to solve this will help.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hmm...There might be several things happening:

First of all, whenever you download a bundled package like netbeans, the sdk, and all that good stuff together, for some reason it has trouble installing or downloading. If you're doing that, then try downloading seperate.

Second, you might not have j2se 1.4. If I remember correctly 1.5 is just an update package and needs a pre installed version.
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/download.html#sdk
Take a look at that URL. Try re downloading the seperate files. First 1.4, and then 1.5.

Hope that helps. I know I'm right about the first scenario, but not sure about the latter.

I have java 1.4.2_08, so... Do you think i should uninstall that and then just install 1.5.0_04?

That was actually my next thought, but I don't think it will work.

How are you doing this? Is this a 'live' online installation?

Does it ask any questions during the installation, like what directory the 1.4 is installed in?

So I unistalled the previous versions and got the newest one to install right, but I can't get applets to work online. Is there a classpath or path location to make this work?

for applet to run online, i think you would need JRE? :rolleyes:

So I unistalled the previous versions and got the newest one to install right, but I can't get applets to work online. Is there a classpath or path location to make this work?

It depends on what JRE version you have, and whether java is enabled with your browser. Make sure that you downloaded the latest JRE, and it's possible you might have to uninstall older versions, but that's a last resort. Second, check the java console which you can find in the task bar, and right click on it and see what it's saying(if anything)...Let me know how this goes.

OK i got it, in the internet controls, where you can check off the options there was a check box for it that was un checked.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.