I just started with TASM 5.0, and I have a question.
Is there a way to assemble the exe so I can use it in windows XP?
I write TASM myproject.asm
then TLINK myproject
thats how I was told to do, but I cant run it in XP
how should I assemble to make it work in XP?
Im using TASM 5.0

or are you all programmin in windows 9x? O.o

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I've never used TASM, but maybe this might help steer you in the right direction.

In NASM I must compile "NASMW -fwin32 sourcefile". Note -fwin32, this tells the compiler which platform I intend to compile application for.

then "link /entry:Main /machine:ix86 ......", this tell the linker the entry point and what type of machine I intend on running it on.

So check you compiler and linker options to make sure you are using the correct ones so your PE header is created properly for the windows platform.

TASM 5.0 is a MS-DOS 6.X and earlier 16-bit assembler and will not assemble 32-bit code that is needed for MS-Windows.

I just started with TASM 5.0, and I have a question.
Is there a way to assemble the exe so I can use it in windows XP?
I write TASM myproject.asm
then TLINK myproject
thats how I was told to do, but I cant run it in XP
how should I assemble to make it work in XP?
Im using TASM 5.0

or are you all programmin in windows 9x? O.o

I was having a similar problem. What I did was use a text editor to write the .asm code as well as a DOS batch file with the command line directives. I then placed those files in the BIN folder of TASM. Open the command line prompt, navigate to the BIN folder (where you'll find TASM32.EXE) and enter:

tasm32 <name of the .bat file>.bat

If the code has no errors then you just type the name of the .asm file without the extension.

I think you should try WinASM who includes Masm, WinASM is a complete IDE to develop assembler. You'll find it here :
http://www.winasm.net/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.