Hi!
I'm working on an application that only sits in the notification area and keeps track of time. At certain intervals, it will notify the user. It also has a form, with which the user can configure and see the time etc.

When the form is closed with the little red x in the upper right corner of the form, I just want the form to hide but still run in the background. The application should only exit when the user selects the "exit" context menu item of the notification icon.

This is how i have managed to solve this:

//This is called when the context menu item "exit" is selected
private void exitToolStripMenuItem_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
    Application.Exit();
}

//This is always called then the form is about to close, regardless of 
//what or who innitiated the close event (as far as I understand)
private void Form1_FormClosing(object sender, FormClosingEventArgs e)
{
    if (e.CloseReason == CloseReason.UserClosing)
    {
        Hide();
        e.Cancel = true;
    }
    else
    {
        e.Cancel = false;
    }
}

You can see that the way I did was to call Application.Exit() in the context menu method. I only did this in order to be able to distinguish between calls from the menu item and other calls to the close method.

It works fine, but I don't like it because in both cases it is the user that sets off the event so in both cases, the CloseReason should be UserClosing.

My question is therefore: is there a more appropriate way of doing this?
/Robert

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

With whatever little I followed, I would use a bool say:

bool UserClicked = false; // In the Form Load Event

I would add following line in your method: exitToolStripMenuItem_Click

UserClicked = true;

And finally, in the FormClosing event, you can check like this:

if (UserClicked)
{
}
else
{
}

Well, that was simple enough. Can't believe I didn't think of that! I'm new to C# and Forms, but not to programming. Thanks! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.