hi all,
can anyone tell me hoe to open a file from one machine, when the file is present on a remote machine, specifying it's IP address?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

check out urllib2.urlopen.

tonyjv,
I read that urllib2 is supported on python 2.3. I want something that is portable, i.e., the one which can run on any machine which has a basic python version. I want it because, the code shouldnt require a version update, if it has to be run on different machines.

Pla help me out

tonyjv,
I read that urllib2 is supported on python 3. I want something that is portable, i.e., the one which can run on any machine which has a basic python version. I want it because, the code shouldnt require a version update, if it has to be run on different machines.

Pla help me out

tonyjv,
I read that urllib2 is supported on python 3. I want something that is portable, i.e., the one which can run on any machine which has a basic python version. I want it because, the code shouldnt require a version update, if it has to be run on different machines.

Pla help me out

How is a URL specified within a call for urllib2.urlopen(). I want to specify something like 192.168.5.140/XXX_yyy/ZZZ_yyy/bbb

and forgot to mention, bbb is a folder

any body pls help me....it is blocking me n I am getting frustrated :( :( :(

any body pls help me....it is blocking me n I am getting frustrated :( :( :(

hi all,

Isnt anybody of any help?:(

Get inspiration for your coding effort from my 'Python Poem' pushing file from my server as demonstration how easy that is to do in Python. Code your thing and post your results if you are still stuck (together with suitable test input, desired output/result, any error messages).

Start reading python ftp lib.

Connect via ftp then you get access to the remote system.
bingo ;)

Start reading python ftp lib.

Connect via ftp then you get access to the remote system.
bingo ;)

@richie.......

connecting via FTP requires, ftp daemon running on the server to which we want to connect. I need help regarding urllib .Pls anyone.....

And do you have any idea that you will need authentication to connect and do other stuff on the remote system. urlib will give you the control to work with url, that is internet checkups,webpage scrapping but will not give you chance to manipulate data on the remote system. The remote system must have a webserver runing also.

Well i have already pointed you to the right direction but the choice is yours ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.