I'm a little new to c++. I have written a code for a base conversion program. It handles base conversion between bases 2-36 and stops when the user enters "0". I have written the program, however I still need to make it convert whole numbers instead of just integers. Ex: 0.22 or 13.587 etc. I also need to be able to convert negative numbers. Can someone help me out?
Thanks in advance!

here is what I have so far.

int main()

{

int number,base,final[99];

double remainder;

cout<<"Enter the number system base (2--36): ";

cin>>base;

if( base<37&& base>1)

{

while (number !=0)

{

int i=0;

cout<<"Enter a decimal integer: ";

cin>>number;

if (number==0)

{

cout<<"bye!"<<endl;

break;

}

while (number !=0)

{

remainder=(number%base);

final[i]=remainder;

i++;

number=number/base;

}

for (i--; i>-1; i--)

{

if (final[i]<10)

cout<<final[i];

else

cout<<char(final[i]-10+'a');

}

number=1;

cout<<endl;

}

}

return 0;

}

>>however I still need to make it convert whole numbers instead of just integers. Ex: 0.22 or 13.587 etc.

Whole numbers are integers. 0.22 and 13.587 are decimals. You may need to develop a more complex algorithm mathematically for this. I'm not sure that just using the % operator will work, though it may be part. I'd say work through a few of them with paper/pencil before tackling the program.

>>I also need to be able to convert negative numbers.

That's fairly easy. Figure out whether it's a negative number. If it is, take the negative sign away and make it positive. Convert the positive number, then stick the negative sign back in front.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.