I'm trying to call other EXE's from my program I'm writing. Inside my project I have a folder called progs with exe's inside it. How can I call these from button clicks?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Use System.Diagnostics.Process class.

Process.Start("c:\windows\system32\calc.exe")

Use System.Diagnostics.Process class.

Process.Start("c:\windows\system32\calc.exe")

I've seen that before, but I wasn't sure how to call an exe that is inside my program.

Hey guys, here is an more advanced way to call the exe.

Process.Start(My.Application.Info.DirectoryPath & "\progs\calc.exe")

Hope that helped.

Thanks,
Marais

Okay. I tried your code that you provided above. In my solution explorer i have the following structure.

PROG ROOT
- a.vb
- b.vb
+ Resources
+ Prog
- Test1
- Test2
-Test2Sub1.exe

I used the below code but got a Win32Exception was unhandled.

Process.Start(My.Application.Info.DirectoryPath & "\Prog\Test2\Test2Sub1.exe")

>I've seen that before, but I wasn't sure how to call an exe that is inside my program.

And we don't know where your program is? Is your program is located at "c:\folder1" or somewhere else?

To get the path of current folder (This is the location where an executable of your program is located)

str=My.Computer.FileSystem.CurrentDirectory

Put your executables (.exe) under Bin\Debug or Bin\Debug (whatever is your current build) and use following path,

str=My.Computer.FileSystem.CurrentDirectory  & "\file1.exe"

I wasn't adding it the way that you just suggested. I'm sure if I do that way, it will solve it.

I guess I only have one more question for this thread. After I have completed my project, how can I just get the exe to add to a USB thumb drive to run on multiple computers. I don't want to create an installer for it.

>I don't want to create an installer for it.

Be sure that a .net framework (suitable version) must be installed on target machine.

offer me some vb.net projects with oracle as back end

IT field looks for talents so try by own.

You want to run a program using another program.:-/

try this:

suppose you have:
main.exe
sub1.exe
sub2.exe

and you want to run sub1.exe by clicking button1 in the main.exe.

and your sub1.exe is inside the folder named Prog.

the directory should be like this:
main1.exe
Prog/sub1.exe
Prog/sub2.exe

then use this:

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        Process.Start(Application.StartupPath & "/Prog/sub1.exe")
    End Sub

Goodluck! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.