I have posted in some other forums and im sorry for people who have already seen something like this from me, but i was hoping if i could get some different views and opinions.
I have probably very bsic computer knowledge and no programming knowledge, however, i have recently took an interest in it. I study systems suppoert at college and hopefully will be starting uni in September. I'd like to do computer science foor the prograamming side.
I ws just wondering what kind of knowledge one would need to learn to program. I know there are many types of programming languages and i am looking at starting in C (advised by a tutor). I have done a tutorial but have found myself rather confused as i was working in CMD and my condifidence has hit a little low because i dont feel like im smart enough to do it or to start to learn it.
Is it possible if anyone could give me any advice on the kinda of knowledge you would need? When i watch the kinda stuff on TV that involves geeks and stuff hacking etc i kinda feel stupid and stuff (i know this is childish).
But anywho, thanks for any advice :)

p0l4rb34r

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I ws just wondering what kind of knowledge one would need to learn to program.

You don't need any knowledge, but computer power user skills will go a long long way. If, for example, all you know how to do is send email and surf the web, you'll have a time getting a compiler and debugger stood up for programming.

As for feeling stupid, get used to it. Any programmer who strives to improve will be in a constant state of confusion.

Get a good IDE, and understand, it will take time and a lot of work to be a decent programmer.

Learning C from the command line -- holy shit! Insane confidence killer, for a beginner. imo.

Learning C from the command line -- holy shit! Insane confidence killer, for a beginner. imo.

LOL! well in this tutorial i was working on was the basic "Hello, World!" tutorial using the cmd. It took me a while to actually set up the compiler minGW GCC which basically took a lot out of my heaad xD

It's still good experience. Even if you only work from the command line for a week, it'll give you a better understanding and appreciation of what the IDE does.

Well the notes did say that if you just learned from the IDE, then you would rely solely on it

I started learning programming in C++(in a manner similar to C) using Turbo C++ IDE.
While turbo is outdated, its simplicity gives confidence to beginners, to start thinking like a programmer.
Later on you can switch to some better IDE.
Note:Turbo was built for MS DOS. So it may not work for Linux. if you are on linux, then 'vi' or 'gedit' should be good for starting
Vinayak

While turbo is outdated, its simplicity gives confidence to beginners, to start thinking like a programmer.

I fail to see how using a limited and ancient compiler (which tends to cause no end of unnecessary problems and questions) is justified by a minor confidence boost from a simple IDE. Further, there are modern IDEs that are simple, so you're doing nothing but encouraging people to be so stuck in the past as to make life vastly harder when they try to catch up.

Further, there are modern IDEs that are simple, so you're doing nothing but encouraging people to be so stuck in the past as to make life vastly harder when they try to catch up.

Catching up is not as difficult as starting. :)
Its only my experience, and i specified that turbo is not the best.

As a beginner, it's hard for me to learn about programing because I have no compiler for the turbo c..though, i have a compiler but it is not compatible to my OS (windows7). I'm asking those who have a compiler that is compatible with my windows please send it to me..thank you

Catching up is not as difficult as starting.

How many people have you helped unlearn bad habits from Turbo C? I've helped hundreds, and my experience is that it's harder than learning modern C from the get go.

i have a compiler but it is not compatible to my OS (windows7).

Visual C++ 2010 Express
Code::Blocks
Pelles C
LCC-Win32

Turbo was only a suggestion, neither i advocated it, nor i imposed it.
I assumed OP shall weigh the pros and cons and then use any IDE.
I myself use Visual C++ and CodeBlocks currently, and it wasn't difficult for me to switch from Turbo. The action was natural.
I don't have experience like you (i am a student), and would like to know of some of the bad habits caught from Turbo.
(Who knows if i have caught one)
Vinayak

To learn C Lamnguage its not needed to have knowledge of some other language you can start your programming with c it is very basic but i suggest you to refer some good books or some good sites.

Learning C language is the best place to start the journey of programming...
It doesnt need any previous programming experience
And please dont opt for an IDE at the beginning of learning C
IDE does make the things look easy but its better to learn C using a basic compiler..
Once you gain enough confidence you can switch on to a good IDE

Programming may seem pretty easy while learning but ro master it u need to do a lot of practice and should never lose your patience

And once you learn the language of C it does help you in beginning some other programming languages

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.