My new PC is eMachines3260, it has an HPdeskjet 3840 printer, it has windowsXP pre-installed by the supplier.
The old PC had windows98 and its printer (HP deskjet 695c) is now US. Qbasic was installed on the old PC by its supplier, I have no software disc for the Qbasic program - so I transfered it and other files from the old PC including :-
QBASIC 190K Application
QBASIC 128K Help file
QBASIC 1K Configuration settings
plus a few programs written in Qbasic.
All these transfered and work OK on the new PC, except when trying to operate the printer, either by using the command "LPRINT", or listing a program with File -> Print. Both of these cause the keyboard to lock and it can only be unblocked by Ctrl + Alt +Del. It seems to be trying to find the old printer on the new PC.
I see (from Qbasic help) that "LPRINT prints data on the printer LPT1". Does this mean that somewhere (possibly in the Qbasic configuration settings?) LTP1 is still assigned to the old printer?
What can I do to re-direct printing instructions from Qbasic on the new PC to the new printer? There is no problem with it printing from any windows program.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

My new PC is eMachines3260, it has an HPdeskjet 3840 printer, it has windowsXP pre-installed by the supplier.
The old PC had windows98 and its printer (HP deskjet 695c) is now US. Qbasic was installed on the old PC by its supplier, I have no software disc for the Qbasic program - so I transfered it and other files from the old PC including :-
QBASIC 190K Application
QBASIC 128K Help file
QBASIC 1K Configuration settings
plus a few programs written in Qbasic.
All these transfered and work OK on the new PC, except when trying to operate the printer, either by using the command "LPRINT", or listing a program with File -> Print. Both of these cause the keyboard to lock and it can only be unblocked by Ctrl + Alt +Del. It seems to be trying to find the old printer on the new PC.
I see (from Qbasic help) that "LPRINT prints data on the printer LPT1". Does this mean that somewhere (possibly in the Qbasic configuration settings?) LTP1 is still assigned to the old printer?
What can I do to re-direct printing instructions from Qbasic on the new PC to the new printer? There is no problem with it printing from any windows program.

Well you have a few options here.

You can simply echo >LPT1

If this is not hooked up locally then Share the printer.

then do a net use LPT1 to caputre the print port.

then echo > LPT1

THank you for your reply, but I am too ignorant to understand it and act upon it!
My printer is not shared.
Myold PC seemed to go from Windows98 to Qbasic via DOS - the new one goes straight from WindowsXP to Qbasic - so how do I echo?
I have found a way round half of my original problem - in my Qbasic programs I can open a file and write the info I want to print to it: then I can print out the file from WindowsXP.
But the other half remains - I still have no way of making hard copies of my Qbasic programs. I tried to copy them, but could not paste the copy to a windows file.
Help!!!
Naelcmaj

START | RUN

type cmd then hit {enter}

Locate the file in question

Then:

more yourfile.bas > LPT1
{enter}

it should print to the local printer.

you do have a qbasic it is in the old dos file on your windows 98 os cd try reinstalling it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.