Hi everyone

I would like to take your advice about my situation

This is my second year in university and my major is computer science and my programming skill is very weak:'( and I finish data structure by Miracle :icon_cry:and until now I can’t solve any assignment by myself:icon_sad:, so what should I do to improve my programming skill :?: ?????????????????????

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

First of all, stop with the smileys, they're aggravating.

So you're having trouble with data structures - is that because you're having trouble getting the concepts, or because the coding is difficult, or both?
If you understand what a linked list is, but you have trouble writing one, you have one sort of problem. If you're having trouble understanding what a linked list is, but you understand that code that makes it work, that's another sort of problem. If both, well, that's two problems which suggest a third one.

you should first determine what's the problem and then go to solve it.
because your programming skill are very weak then your problem is you missing understanding of programming concepts.
to solve this problem,you should revise all programming concepts and understood it very well.
after that go to the data structure .

If you really want to learn,you will learn. but decide before doing any thing what you will do. got me?

eman 22 was right, first determine where your weak points are.

is it in grasping the concepts?? is it in programming??

In any case, my suggestion is read, read, read.

Programming is logical. So you need to train your self how to think logically. Some people compare programming with math because they both require perfect logic. So my suggestion is to change your mind of thought. Train yourself to think more logically. One way to do this, is to do simple practice problems. Not only it trains your mind to think logically but it also gives you experience coding. And if you don't have the passion to practice and to get better each day, then you should probably switch majors.

commented: good comment +0

eman 22 was right, first determine where your weak points are.

is it in grasping the concepts?? is it in programming??

In any case, my suggestion is read, read, read.

My suggestion is to write, write, write! I learned loads form writing stupid little games, I started without much knowledge of what I was doing but as I used more and more things I understood how everything worked.

Think of something to write that would stress your abilities a little. Dont understand how Trees work? Make up a game where you have to store things as trees, say for rendering. When you have specific problems people will be happy to help you on this forum.

Hi everyone

I would like to take your advice about my situation

This is my second year in university and my major is computer science and my programming skill is very weak:'( and I finish data structure by Miracle :icon_cry:and until now I can’t solve any assignment by myself:icon_sad:, so what should I do to improve my programming skill :?: ?????????????????????

Why dont you try to draw your ideas?... if you dont have any idea what to draw then thats another problem. Try harder I think. Lets say you have an Idea, lets put that idea as if it is a BIG ART FRAME, then cut that Frame into smaller frames to where you can say " oh that piece belongs to this, becuase..... " then youre going to start asking questions, which leads to learning. Write a simple code using classes that are hard for you to understand. Go back to the basic and simple steps, you wont be able to move on if you dont understand the small stuff.Practice makes perfect and its all about ditermination.

Also posted here with many of the same answers as here. I, for one, do not like wasting my time repeating advice thats already been given simply because the OP is not considerate enough to notify people that he has already asked this somewhere else.

commented: Agreed. +1

Also posted here with many of the same answers as here. I, for one, do not like wasting my time repeating advice thats already been given simply because the OP is not considerate enough to notify people that he has already asked this somewhere else.

If he asked it here twice, then that would be something interesting. If he asked the same question but in a different site, that is what you call,asking other websites opinion.. He can ask whoever,and wherever he wants, nothings wrong with that.
continue..

PS: and why would the OP care if he already asked this somewhere else? is that against the websites policy? Programmers are suppose to be annalytical, not critical.. peace.

Your entitled to your opinion, but how is anyone not wasting their time giving advice that's already been given, especially when all the OP need do is to include a link to the other question in order to provide a way for people to avoid wasting their time?

Edit: P.S. if you are going to say that the OP would be wasting his time providing those links, all I can say is three things

1. Common courtesy (which is what providing that link and updates is) is not wasting one's time.
2. Well, they are asking the question which at least implies that the effort should be on their part.
3. Even if it were wasting the OPs time, better that one person waste a bit of time than all others answering the question wasting theirs.

You'd better start with tracing the codes represented in your reference book and start this work from the simplest concept to the harder ones and you should also _after reading each block of code_ close your book and try to write your own code for the same problem. If you can't write the code yourself, trace the code again and this time pay more attention to the initialisation, the termination condition, the step the code takes in each cycle of loop and the logic behind it(in sequential algorithms), how a recursive function recalls itself and how each call of a recursive function terminates for an specific value, how to write a recursive code nonrecursively using stack and queue and what part stack and queue play in your code, pay attention to the difference between value and reference and so on.... I've passed data structures in C++ and this really worked for me. Anyway you see that all of these take long hours of studying throughout the term and if you really want to improve your skill you should seriously put effort onto this.

Wish You The Best
Nooshin

think logically..and hard work is constantly needed. Don't stop to try and try. Think positive

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.