I want to make collapsible groups in an excel document(in excel, on to the Data tab, Outline section, Group button) using XSLT. Is this possible? If so, does anyone have an example or link of how this is done?

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

This should be able to be done. Microsoft excel document can be exported into and XML document. Then you can use and XSLT to modify this excel document into a different XMl structure that does what you need it to do.

If you want to get the idea, I would make an excel spreadsheet that has the features you want in it. Just make a group, data tab, outline the way you want it to look in excel first. Then export that to an XML excel file and look at the code and they way it works. You can also use Microsoft's XML library. You can then combine the xml file from excel, with whatever other data source you have in XSLt to produce the correct document on the output.

I tried that but when I save the excel file as an XML document, it loses that functionality.

It shouldn't, I've done it many times. Can you send me the Excel file that you're trying to export to XML and I'll send it back to you. You can PM me and I'll give you my email address.

Hi,
I have excel file , I am able to group them & I am able to Expand/ collapse them in my xslt.
But by default i need to collapse them. Can you please let me know how to do it.
In my XSLT i am using "mso-outline-level:1;"

It shouldn't, I've done it many times. Can you send me the Excel file that you're trying to export to XML and I'll send it back to you. You can PM me and I'll give you my email address.

Hello,

I am able to export the dataset to Excel using XML and XSLT, but i cant group/outline the exported excel.

Could you please share the XSLT code for creating Expandable/Collapsable excel file?

I am in an urgent need of it and it will be a great help if you share the code.

Thanks in advance.
Sandeep.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.