Say I want to begin writing a program some how or some way in machine code and nothing more. This program I am making is expected to be a 3D video game. I would like to write it in some way the processor can implement it and write back the actual data directly from the machine code. But I wish not to use external libraries, pointers or such from programming languages or graphics libraries. I want only machine language and I want to implement the games timing, graphics and color directly from the graphics card and sound card for sounds, duplication of sounds emitted from the direct hardware itself and use building blocks from machine language all the way from the ground up. I REALLY want to write a fairly-usable instructive language from machine language that can optimize and handle data such as memory allocation, timing I plan to do with the processor's quartz clock instructions manually and I'd have to learn how to work with the video/graphics and sound cards from their native capabilities-manually. This way I'd take credit for all the work and feel proud.

But can it be done, in your opinion?

I would also need some way to retrieve the data of the game, such as maybe with EPRAM or some thing, and test it on another computer with capable hardware and find a way to optimize the disc, once burned, to run on game consoles and calibration of the controllers and such. It'll be hard, but worth it......

I want to create a game similar to Final Fantasy 13 in machine language alone, plus the video/graphics and sound card manually.

I expect graphics like this:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ffelement.com/finalfantasy/ff13/screen6.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ffelement.com/finalfantasy/ff13/screenshots.php&usg=__Wf-RP2n9jkOG3zagvmfmRY3Ioos=&h=720&w=1280&sz=259&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=ddJueNAyfk601M:&tbnh=132&tbnw=194&ei=NCheTZvOG8q4tgf1heXbCw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dff13%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D667%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=109&vpy=140&dur=548&hovh=168&hovw=300&tx=206&ty=115&oei=NCheTZvOG8q4tgf1heXbCw&page=1&ndsp=13&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

Honestly, can it all be done with machine language and native graphics card and sound card instructions and nothing more?

hag++ commented: Spoonlicker is a troll. +0

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Technically you can, if you had the datasheets and instruction sets of all the hardware you were working with. I think there's a unified instruction set which is used by libraries as OpenGL and such. To be honest, I don't know for sure because all assembly I did was on MicroChip PIC and ARM sets. Remember that there's a lot of different chips with different instruction sets going 'round. Of course you can implement a routine that checks whether instructions are present on chips, which can be difficult. Good luck.

Honestly, can it all be done with machine language and native graphics card and sound card instructions and nothing more?

Yes. But writing machine code directly and interfacing directly with hardware is both difficult and tedious. I assume since you're excessively insane about not using the efforts of others that hardware drivers are out of the question. In that case you'd also need to write your own drivers, and your own OS to host the drivers, and your own hardware to host the OS.

No rational person would take this to the extremes you've gone, so I can only assume that you're trolling with these "can I do it?" questions.

Yes. But writing machine code directly and interfacing directly with hardware is both difficult and tedious. I assume since you're excessively insane about not using the efforts of others that hardware drivers are out of the question. In that case you'd also need to write your own drivers, and your own OS to host the drivers, and your own hardware to host the OS.

No rational person would take this to the extremes you've gone, so I can only assume that you're trolling with these "can I do it?" questions.

No, I'm just irrational. It's the way I am. And even though I wish it was possible to do all I wanted to do I couldn't get it done. Likely never....But machine language is easier than creating hardware from scratch, that's for sure.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.