im having issues with if else statement through the search engine of my system

so here it goes
i have a database/table that contains name and status

the name can be any string"not a big deal"
then the status can be Instructor or Student

i have this code using to search for a record

Private Sub txtSearch_Change()
If cboSearch.Text = "name" Then
Adodc1.RecordSource = "select name, status from Login where name like '%" + txtSearch.Text + "%'"
Adodc1.Refresh

else if cboSearch.text = "status" then
Adodc1.RecordSource = "select name, status from Login where status like '%" + txtSearch.Text + "%'"
Adodc1.Refresh

end if
end sub

question: how can i filter the records of only the given status "instructor and student" and meeting the designated field "if they are search for status or name with a keyword"
because my adodc1 contains name, and status (student, instructor, faculty and facilitator)

i have the following code but it dosent work for me

If cboSearch.Text = "Student Name" Then
Adodc1.RecordSource = "select name, status from Login where name like '%" + txtSearch.Text + "%'" and status = 'Instructor' or status = 'student'
Adodc1.Refresh

in short, how can i need to meet at least 2 of the three condition to post a record, the keyword of the name and at least one of the status

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You need to frame the query dynamically at run time and execute the same based on the combo value.

Try the following -

If cboSearch.Text = "Student Name" Then
Adodc1.RecordSource = "SELECT name, status FROM Login WHERE name LIKE '%" & txtSearch.Text & "%' AND status = 'Instructor'"
Adodc1.Refresh
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.