As many of you know, GOCR is a common Optical Character Recognition software that can be implemented into almost any programming language. You must convert the image you wish to convert into a PNM file and then proceed to call the executable OCR file. I cannot find any conversion methods for Visual Basic, nor am I quite sure how to send the file to the program and retrieve the text. Has anyone ever worked with GOCR or happen to know anything above?

Feel free to ask questions.

Thank you,

Resentful

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Due to the complex nature of the issue, I would be more than happy to pay for assistance in this issue.

I guess no one has ever worked with GOCR?

1. Not many of us know what GOCR is :) (heard it myself here the first time)
For 2. and 3. :
"GOCR is an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program, developed under the GNU Public License. It converts scanned images of text back to text files. Joerg Schulenburg started the program, and now leads a team of developers.
GOCR can be used with different front-ends, which makes it very easy to port to different OSes and architectures. It can open many different image formats, and its quality have been improving in a daily basis." - from GOCR home page...
2. GOCR is open source... So open the source and you'll see all the documentation that solves many of your questions
3. As far as I can tell GOCR has its own conversion algorithms for pictures so you basically don't need one, but if you insist on it:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/graphics/Managed_PGM.aspx
This is just for PNM... For conversion you need the proper reader for the picture format and just write it to PNM format
Edit: Source for Link above can inter convert different image formats it seems...

commented: Asnwered some of my questions. +1

Thank you for your reply. I took a look at the documentation, but couldn't really find how to send the image to the executable program.

I suppose you could start the GOCR app from your application and send the path of the image as an argument to GOCR but I'm not sure if GOCR takes any arguments while starting up... Other solution could be to implent SendMessage API into your application and to fill the necessary controls with your data by emulating keystrokes and mouseclicks. Yet another solution would be to implement the GOCR code into your application by reading it carefully and then re-coding it into your application (since its open source this solution should be the easiest one). If u can't read/don't understand the language you could use online converters... Sorry if I'm not too helpful atm but am currently busy doing my diploma paper so I can't/am too lazy to look at the source myself...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.