Hi, I'm doing some work for an Access Database but I caught a snag writing an event. I want the event to (among other things) change the Control Source of an object. This is no problem, except I have to set the control source as a string, and the string being an Immediate if function contains a string in it.

Now in C and C++, to write double quotes in a literal constant you just use a backslash infront of it to take it as it is. Such as:

str1 = "President Lincoln said \"Four score and seven years ago...\""

I tried this in my VBA statement and no such luck. It just took the backslash in a string and closed the string at the quotes, like so:

[foo].ControlSource = "=IIf([foo]>0, 100*([foo1]/[foo2]) & \"%\", \"%\")"

So does anyone know the code to accept double quotes in string constants?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I will say that the C/C++/Javaish/Perlish/etc/etc structure for working with escape sequences is a real treat compared to The basic language. The only way to do this, is to concantenate the character code value to the string where the double quote would be. It's sick, and it makes the code a lot less understandable when dealing with strings, but here is how your example would look:

str1 = "President Lincoln said " & chr(34) & "Four score and seven years ago..." & chr(34)

chr is the basic function to return the ascii value of a given character code. In this case, 34, which is ". This page has a cool list of them: http://www.lookuptables.com/

Yep, that makes sense. Thank you.

But when i use Chr(34) it replaces a smart curly (“) double quote but i need to replace it with a straight double quote (") which. Is there a solution for this.

Wow... here is another reason why bumping posts suck... I get a stupid email from a thread I subscribed to almost a year ago. Thanks for the spam, Ganesh.

commented: No Kidding, Ganesh is out to lunch... +5

Wow... here is another reason why bumping posts suck... I get a stupid email from a thread I subscribed to almost a year ago. Thanks for the spam, Ganesh.

<bump /> :D

Hey use double times double quote for any escape sequence character like

[foo].ControlSource = "=IIf([foo]>0, 100*([foo1]/[foo2]) & ""%"", ""%"")"

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.