Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone who programs for a living or just as a hobby ever gets bored of it? And if not, why do you not? And if you do, what keeps you wanting to continue doing it?

Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I think I'm driven by frustration sometimes.

My motivation is that there is always something to learn.

is it boring um supposd to do it next semester i think i like java more than any other programming language

I think you are asking the wrong question. Programming is a tool. Asking if people get bored of programming is like asking a plumber if he gets bored of using a wrench, he would probably tell you that his job is not about using a wrench but about helping people with their plumbing problems and that is what he is motivated and proud to do.

Of course, programming takes a lot more time to learn how to do well. So, during that time, it does require an eagerness to learn and general interest for programming. With that, I don't think it gets boring, unless you picked the wrong projects for you. It does get frustrating from time to time during the learning phase because nothing seem to work as you wish and you are constantly stumbling on bugs or problems that you don't know how to solve (yet). But the sooner you can start focusing on problems that you want to solve, the more motivation you have to fight through these difficulties, and if you love to solve tough problems, there are plenty of those in various applications of computer programming.

Of course, the "job" can get repetitive and boring for time to time, but what job isn't? You have to look at the bigger picture to remind yourself why you are going through this less exciting part (like refactoring a large piece of code).

First off I agree with Mike, but I will also add that after a while, the C++ aspect of the programming language becomes almost second nature. I will be struggling with the maths, [ that somehow never becomes second nature :( ] and with the main design, or the likely runtime or memory problems, but the language takes a second place -- often I am not even aware which language I am programming in. [Yes I have put bits of C++ into a the middle of f90 method -- the compiler reminded me to get more coffee before coding.]

First off I agree with Mike, but I will also add that after a while, the C++ aspect of the programming language becomes almost second nature. I will be struggling with the maths, [ that somehow never becomes second nature :( ] and with the main design, or the likely runtime or memory problems, but the language takes a second place -- often I am not even aware which language I am programming in. [Yes I have put bits of C++ into a the middle of f90 method -- the compiler reminded me to get more coffee before coding.]

Much agreed, the language becomes much, much less important. That's around the time you begin to see the benefits of one language over another IMO.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.