help please.. how can i store the selected value from my database to a variable in my c# form... (eg. variable=select idnum from tblename)<--- i know i cant do that.. how can i pass its value?? im talking about a specific value from the database. lets say i log in and the user name is "vegeta" how can i get its idnum and store it in a variable... thanks..

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

This post of yours has no much of a point.
"the selected value from my database"

There is no such thing as selected value in dataBase.

Please, be more specific of this issue of yours.

This post of yours has no much of a point.
"the selected value from my database"

There is no such thing as selected value in dataBase.

Please, be more specific of this issue of yours.

in a queary statement in my c# form i want to select idnum of a user in the database , so the query should be SELECT idnum FROM tablename WHERE name="something". now what wanna do is when i clik a button that selected idnum will be stored in a variable in my form. thanks

int userID;

private void button_GetIdNum(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
    string userName = textBox1.Text; //this is an example, from where you get the name
    using(SqlConnection sqlConn = new SqlConnection("connString")) 
    {
         using(SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand())
         {
               cmd.CommandText = @"SELECT idnum FROM tablename WHERE name = @name";
               cmd.Parameters.Add("@name", SqlDbType.Int).Value = userName;
               cmd.Connection = sqlConn;               
               sqlConn.Open();
               using(SqlDataReader reader = cmd.ExecuteReader())
               {
                    if(reader.Read())
                    {
                        userID = (int)reader[0];  //now you have a form variable filled up
                        //and you can use it in a whole form (class) 
                        MessageBox.Show(String.Format("Id found. User with name {0} has id {1}.", userName, userID.ToString()));
                    }
                    else
                        MessageBox.Show("There is no user with this Id in the dataBase.");
               }
         }
    }
}

I'm having a similar problem. My table has a space in it and I get an error saying no object with the name etc is found. How would you rewrite

cmd.CommandText = @"SELECT idnum FROM tablename WHERE name = @name";

if tablename was changed to table name

Space? What do you mean?
You mean the Field name (column name) has a white space, like:

Column Name

I would suggest you to remove spaces. Its not good to have them at all. There can occur problems.

My tables that i need to read data from have spaces in their names. I don't think I can rename them but I'll try again later.

You have to rename table names in dataBase.

Depending on the database it is a possibility to include the name of the table in square brackets like [table name]. At least this works for SQL Server / Access, and if my memory is not cheating me, MySQL too... :-)

I'm using VS2010 with a sql database. I downloaded sql server 2008 r2 express. I'll try the square brackets once I get the chance due to hardware issues atm.

HI i have this code that when i log in the username will be in a variable. now, i wanna use that variable in other forms.. lets say that variable is in a FORM1 and i wanna use that variable from FORM2?

private void Lgbtn_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            OleDbConnection conn = new OleDbConnection(@"provider=microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0;data source=C:\Documents and Settings\Anakz\My Documents\PDG.mdb");
            OleDbCommand cmd = new OleDbCommand("SELECT Username,Password FROM Users", conn);
            OleDbDataReader reader;
            bool permit = false;
            string user;
            try
            {
                conn.Open();
                reader = cmd.ExecuteReader();

while (reader.Read())
                {
                    if (textBox1.Text == (reader["UserName"].ToString()) && textBox2.Text == reader["PassWord"].ToString())
                    {

user = reader["UserName"].ToString(); //this where username from the database will pass its value to a variable..
                        permit = true;
                        break;
                    }
                    //conn.Close();
                }
            }

catch (Exception ex)
            {
                MessageBox.Show(ex.Message);
            }
            if (permit == true)
            {
                this.Close();
                MessageBox.Show("access granted");
             }

else
            { MessageBox.Show("access denied"); }
        }

:idea:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.