Mike_2000_17 and Narue
Just a thought:
You should write a beginner's tutorial on C++0x for Daniweb. That will be a great way to promote this site. I can also contribute on some easier topics!!.

sergent commented: good idea! +4

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

>>You should write a beginner's tutorial on C++0x for Daniweb. That will be a great way to promote this site. I can also contribute on some easier topics!!.

That's a great idea! I think most advanced programmers can just look at the wiki or Bjarne's FAQ page, and totally understand how to use C++0x features, even from just the short and simple examples. But, for beginner to average programmers, there are still nice features to take advantage of. Something along the lines of "getting acquainted with C++0x and how it can benefit the average programmer". I'm thinking "auto", initializer_list, lambdas, rvalue-references, constexpr, range for-loops, decltype(), variadic templates, etc. I guess the new standard libraries should be tackled as well. It might be a lot of work, but it might be possible with enough contributors. If interested, I guess a good starting point would be to post some example C++0x code on this wiki setup by daviddoria. Then, it could be turned into one or more tutorials to go on Daniweb.

Narue, are you up for it?

I have no problem writing some examples for the wiki. As for the tutorial(s), if we're targeting beginners then a holistic approach might be better. Instead of just focusing on new features in isolation, it would be a complete beginner's tutorial on C++, but from the perspective of the new standard. I don't think anyone has done that yet.

Just got the ball rolling with this first tutorial on the topic I find the most fundamentally improved in C++0x (and also one of the most important thing to "update" in old C++ code to make it C++0x-friendly). Hoping more will come.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.