Hey guys,
I made a program and i was just wondering how to change the icon because right now all its showing is the application file icon.

So
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S: I already tried resource hacker, and I probably did something wrong but it didn't work.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Does your program run in a window, or is it a command line program?

runs in a window

Try reading this tutorial. It explains how to create menus and icons for win32. You may need to read back a page or two depending on how much you already know.

thanks

'm kinda new at this so I really didn't understand one word of it....is there any simpler way to make an icon?

It isn't difficult, you just need to read the tutorial... There is a section on that site which has downloadable examples as well.

Hm....found it! Thanks!

NubTruck's approach is correct if you have a Win32API application. I was asking about that because if you were using a different GUI API, the approach would be different.

If you are using the Express Edition of Visual Studio, it is "missing" a resource editor (resources being all the "baggage" your application can carry, icons, bitmaps, etc.). You have to generate your own resource scripts to be fed into the resource compiler that does come with the EE.

Something like http://www.resedit.net/ (not affiliated with this product) gives you back that resource editing. Have a look at that. Regardless, I would take Nubtruck's advice and take a few steps back in that tutorial to see where you first stopped understanding. If you are going to get into this sort of thing, the fundamentals are important.

Hey guys,
I got the icon thing to work(it was pretty easy actually, you just have to download icofx and the Resource Editor then load icofx, go to tools, resource editor, click on folder icon, open your .exe file in the Dubug part of your folder, and then click on add an icon and voila, go to the folder that has the icon you want, load it, and save it!).

Hey guys,
I made a program and i was just wondering how to change the icon because right now all its showing is the application file icon.

So
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S: I already tried resource hacker, and I probably did something wrong but it didn't work.

bad post

bad post(again)

There is an edit button(under your username and avatar) <<------------------------------<< that works for up to 30 minutes after you've made the post.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.