My wife and i own a contemporary pottery studio that offers what we call pottery perks program. Where in we offer a 20 gift certificate for every six times a person reaches a $20.00 limit. Having a lot of customers and keeping our little pottery perks information cards are starting to pile up my counter space here. I have started a layout for putting such information we acquire, per person, in the fields of: Name, Email address and Birth date. with each entry int this program / data base I could add a new contacts info or update one. The $20.00 dollar level per six times I understand is a simple equation like something maybe excel would use. If I could get some pointers this would help me out tremendously.
I have included a screen capture of what I have so far.

thanks, Jay

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

So what do you need? What do you want it to do that it doesn't?

in the name box: To add a name, or to pull up a name already stored.
in the email box: again, to add a new address, and to pull up one already stored.
date of birth: just to remind us that we need to send them an email coupon.

The function is this: Suzie Jones comes in and spends $33.25 in sales, now I would have to pull her card, look at her last balance of $4.50, add both totals, subtract $20.00 for the 1st punch and carry, or write down that she has $17.75 towards her next $20.00 limit. After 6 punches we issue a $20.00 gift certificate.

the program now just looks good, the buttons, etc are just there, no code drive them. I do know that this database, for lack of better words, can be kept in a text file, like normal address book .csv files. I feel this can be done with a calender program like outlook or evolution or something, but I just figured I would make it "pretty" for my wife.

Let me know if
I can give more detail as to it's function.

and thanks in advanced for all your help.

I'd try this tutorial first and then use access to hold my data. http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/net/nets12p1.html
In fact other than learning VB I see little reasons as to not create everything in Access.

PS: The way your form is designed you'll still need to do the math on your own. Put a new purchase text box and type in the ammount of the new purchase. Also would be nice to have a total. Dividing the total by 20 and rounding that down (it's important to round down) you'll get the number of punches the customer got.
Divide that by 6 and round down and compare this number to the number of gift certificates issued for this customer and you'll be able to handle all possible scenarios (ie 1 gift certificate + 1 punch in 1 transaction).

Your question is quite general, so maybe it's a starter with VBA in Excel you need. I've just finished a huge tutorial on Excel VBA - let me know if you find it useful.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.