I've been trying to get this code to build, but I keep receiving the following errors:

week5Crook.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl decrypt(char *)" (?decrypt@@YAXPAD@Z) referenced in function _main
week5Crook.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl encrypt(char *)" (?encrypt@@YAXPAD@Z) referenced in function _main
Debug/week5Crook.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals

The program compiles fine and I haven't been able to figure out exactly what this error is trying to tell me. I was able to build and run this program in Dev C++, but I'm now getting these errors when I try to build this program in VS .Net 2003. Any guidance you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

void encrypt(char *);
void decrypt(char *);

int main()
{
    char string[] = "This is a secret!";

cout << "Encrypted string is: ";
    encrypt(string);

cout << "\nDecrypted string is: ";
    decrypt(string);

cout << endl << endl;

return 0;
}//end main()

//encrypts string by adding 1 to the value of each character
void encrypt(char *sPtr)
{
     while (*sPtr != '\0')    //exit while at null character
     {
           *sPtr += 1;
           cout << *sPtr;
           ++sPtr;
     }//end while
}//end encrypt()

//decrypts string by subtracting 1 to the value of each character
void decrypt(char *sPtr)
{
     while (*sPtr != '\0')//exit while at null character
     {
           *sPtr -= 1;
           cout << *sPtr;
           ++sPtr;
     }//end while
}//end decrypt()

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

It sounds like you have a building issue rather than a code issue. It links and runs just fine for me on Visual Studio .NET 2003. Try making a new project and pasting your code into it, then let us know if it worked or not.

That worked. Thank you so much. I can't believe I wasted so much time trying to figure out something which had such a simple solution. Actually, yes I can. :)

I appreciate it, Narue.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.