I'm working on a tool that can copy the registry files from a designated drive or image onto a local machine.

After doing that, how would I go about reading from those registry keys? I've seen other people use RegOpenKeyEx but that was on their computer and not an external registry file.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

google for "c++ ReadRemoteRegistry" and you will find several threads, like this one

Thanks. I had actually seen that but as far as I can tell its using the network to connect to a running computer. My approach is for a forensics class where I have an image of the hard drive or the actual hard drive connected to my machine.

I would then copy the registry to my local computer where I would then open them to look for useful information such as previously connected devices. I've gotten the copying down, its just reading the copied files that has me stumped.

Member Avatar for MonsieurPointer

Just to clarify: Are you trying to read keys/values in from a registry file (*.reg)?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.