Hi! I'n new here, I hope I benefit a lot during my stay.

So basically, after a few months I'll be starting my dissertation for my Masters degree in Computing. I want to know what exactly do I have to do? Like do I have to make a significant contribution to the discipline or what? I have an idea of exactly what I want to do but I'm afraid it might not be quite what is expected.

Coming from a mathematical background, I was thinking of designing and making a software that uses a highly sophisticated mathematical algorithm to solve business problems.

However, like I said, I am not sure if this is what is required of a dissertation.

Any helpful comments appreciated :)

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Member Avatar for hfx642

Since you are going for your Masters, you must have a thesis advisor.
Your advisor is the one that you should be asking this question to.
Your advisor will be the person who will guide you as to what topic your dissertation will be about.

Since you are going for your Masters, you must have a thesis advisor.
Your advisor is the one that you should be asking this question to.
Your advisor will be the person who will guide you as to what topic your dissertation will be about.

oh ok, so I don't choose the topic? Or I can choose it but I have to discuss and confirm it with my advisor?

Member Avatar for hfx642

The latter.
You can choose it, but you will have to discuss and confirm with your advisor.

even if you choose it without your advisors help, he'll still need to approve your topic.

I'm slightly worried all that wasn't explained to him a long time ago...
Or maybe it was but he wasn't paying attention.

I'm slightly worried all that wasn't explained to him a long time ago...
Or maybe it was but he wasn't paying attention.

nope, no one explained this to me before...

nope, no one explained this to me before...

Isn't it your duty to learn or know something like that?

my course didn't include a dissertation, just an internship, but I doubt I know anyone who wasn't aware of this.
I'm pretty sure you've been given (at the very least) some documentation about what you're supposed to do.

How did you learn who your advisor is? what was explained about his task?

my course didn't include a dissertation, just an internship, but I doubt I know anyone who wasn't aware of this.
I'm pretty sure you've been given (at the very least) some documentation about what you're supposed to do.

How did you learn who your advisor is? what was explained about his task?

My dissertation hasn't even started yet, it's in June after i complete all my taught modules...

I knew more than 6 months in advance what was required of me for my internship (and associated research paper, sort of a mix between an internship and a dissertation I guess).
But then I'd been paying attention to what the university was providing us in guidance, meeting with the staff who'd support me, etc.. As should be expected from a student interested in his work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.