Hello everybody.

I hope I'll find help here.

I didn't know where to put this topic: here, or on php or delphi forum. Because I don't know from what to start.

I have a lot of data stored in Word document. Over 1500 pages. And I want to make a program which would have the search option.

Word can not search so fast because there are too many pages so I want some better resolution.

I tried to make it in delphi but it's too complicated, and I don't know PHP very well.

So how to put these data in V.Basic and which search script should I use.

Thx in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

It is hard to believe that you will be able to write something that will search faster than word can if you leave it in word format. If you load the data into a database first then searching on the database will be much faster.

Hmm, I tried to export that to .txt file and open that in chrome.
Searching is much more faster than the one in microsoft word.

I really don't know what to do and I need that. It will solve my problems.

so is this data constant or changing. if it is constant, or relatively so, it is worth the effort to shift it to a database (probably MSAccess). Alternatively have you tested it in Excel. If you get your users to shift it to Excel it may solve your problem.

so is this data constant or changing. if it is constant, or relatively so, it is worth the effort to shift it to a database (probably MSAccess). Alternatively have you tested it in Excel. If you get your users to shift it to Excel it may solve your problem.

This data is constant. And it will always be constant. Except that it will eventually be added more informations but data will stay constant always.

I am not sure how easy it will be to go from Word to Access, it is simpler to cut and paste the data into an Excel spreadsheet, make sure it is Ok then copy an paste from Excel into a blank table in MS Access.

You can deploy a MS-Access form to allow them to query it or write a simple VB program to query it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.