pls can any1 help me with the code for a reminder(where a user can select a day in the future and the exact time).

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

1.Add a DateTimePicker.
2.Add some TextBoxes(NumericUpDowns might work better) for your Hour/Minutes/Seconds and a ComboBox for AM/PM.
3.Save the Date and Time to a File.
4.Add a Timer that .Ticks every second.
5.Check if File content ='s Today's Date and Time and alert user.

I would load file content when app loads, to Not constantly keep reading the File.
.AndAlso, I would add a shortcut to the app in the Start.Menu's Startup Folder, for your app to load when Windows starts up.

ok thanks alot.
but i want to also write some code that will run in-order to send sms to customers on that particular date and time?? where can i write the code? so it can send the message at the time n date choosen by the customer??

Create a separate Sub just to send SMS and call it only when needed.

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
        If DateTime.Now = "time n date choosen by the customer" Then
            sendCOolSMS()
        End If
    End Sub
    Private Sub sendCOolSMS()
        MsgBox("send SMS code here")
    End Sub

thank you very much i appreciate your help.
ok the thing is, am trying to develop a reminder system, that would send out sms alert to customers that have already registered!!! it might have to send this reminder alert to the same customer for upto 30days or 60days or even for two two days!! depending on how many days the customer requests to get an alert. my question is how would i save the date and time selected to my database and make my application search through my data base in order to execute these "Check if File content ='s Today's Date and Time and alert user" and how about using the monthcalendar tool instead of datetime picker?? whats the advantages? thank you in advance

i am using Microsoft sql server 2008 R2

>>using the monthcalendar tool instead of datetime picker?? whats the advantages?
Advantages/Disavantages, other than the design, Not really certain. Have never had much use for either one of those, other than replying to threads with a possible solution for them.

>>"how would i save the date and time selected to my database".
I would probably do something as...
.If it is a TimeSpan of 2Dates, that it has to alert everyday between the two, I would save it as: 02/19/12 - 03/19/12
.notice the "-" between the two. When checking your database, load that item, check if it .Contains("-") and if it does, validate that the last date has not passed. If not, alert at the appropriate time.
.If it is random days that it has to alert, I would save as:02/19/12, 03/19/12, 04/19/12, etc., and I would check if it .Contains(",") Then .Split the item by the "," in an Array and validate each Array's Date until locating the appropriate Date.

Just a note.
.Instead of constantly checking your db(database), I would load the items in Memory, as a Array and only search that from the timer. Seems more reasonable and less work for your p.c., even if just a box, it can probably stress out just as easy.

Ok thanks a lot.. i created 2 tables in my database. one stores the customer contact.. then the second tables stores the date to be reminded. but its bound to database and its viewed in datagridview so is there anyway in which i can do something like Check if database content ='s Today's Date and Time and alert user.???? it only shows sheduleTBLDataGridView in the property box. (sheduleTBL is the name of the second table in my database)

Not a db.coder, do not have any input on "is there anyway in which i can do something like Check if database content ='s Today's Date and Time...".
Good luck and glad I could help so far.:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.