Is it possible that I could use the VB.net print dialogue tool to print a receipt from a payment? Like If I were able use a ready to print document which I will only be needing to change the amount, cash, change and name before printing. :D

I dont want to use crystal reports because I know its really complicated.
I am just a vb.net beginner here, learned everything I know in just 3 days. xD

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

yes it is possible , but can you tell me what you want to print ,every time before printing you want to change amount , and name ,which is not a good approach. as you said that you want to print a payment receipt you can do like this

' Make a new Form, add the following controls

'Button - btnPrint
    'PrintDocument - prnDoc
    'TextBox - txtNotes

Dim StringToPrint As String

'This variable will hold the text to be printed and is assigned in the button press event before the printing is called.

Private Sub btnPrint_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnPrint.Click

StringToPrint = txtNotes.Text
        prnDoc.Print()

End Sub

'Actual printing code is done by overiding the printpage method of the PrintDocument object. This function will have codes to print the content of the textbox without breaking and spreading out of the page.

Private Sub prnDoc_PrintPage(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Drawing.Printing.PrintPageEventArgs) Handles prnDoc.PrintPage

Dim numChars As Integer

Dim numLines As Integer

Dim stringForPage As String

Dim strFormat As New StringFormat()

Dim PrintFont As Font

PrintFont = txtNotes.Font

Dim rectDraw As New RectangleF(e.MarginBounds.Left, e.MarginBounds.Top, e.MarginBounds.Width, e.MarginBounds.Height)

Dim sizeMeasure As New SizeF(e.MarginBounds.Width, e.MarginBounds.Height - PrintFont.GetHeight(e.Graphics))

strFormat.Trimming = StringTrimming.Word

e.Graphics.MeasureString(StringToPrint, PrintFont, sizeMeasure, strFormat, numChars, numLines)

stringForPage = StringToPrint.Substring(0, numChars)

e.Graphics.DrawString(stringForPage, PrintFont, Brushes.Black, rectDraw, strFormat)

If numChars < StringToPrint.Length Then

StringToPrint = StringToPrint.Substring(numChars)

e.HasMorePages = True

Else

e.HasMorePages = False

End If

End Sub

hope this will helps you :)

Regards

Ohhh ohh! thank you! I'll try to use these codes. Yes I would want to change the name, amount to pay and the amount of cash they'd pay. ^^ May I know why is it not a good approach?

yes , because for receipts we use reports , you can use any reporting tool , this will error free , fast and handsome approach .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.