hello !
basically i am working on .net , but now i want to learn java , is there any software like visual studio for .net .if yes then please can any one tell me or provide me any helpful link.

Best Regards

M.Waqas Aslam

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

you mean: an IDE? any half-decent google query would land you with links to dozens of them.

if you really want to 'learn' java, start without them. programming without having the IDE auto-completion functions will allow you to actually learn the language better.

commented: He's correct. +4

hello !
basically i am working on .net , but now i want to learn java , is there any software like visual studio for .net .if yes then please can any one tell me or provide me any helpful link.

Best Regards

M.Waqas Aslam

Hmm yes i do agree with stultuske it is better to start off coding without auto-completion and Java GUI builders... You will learn the code better-though myself I've always done it using IDE, then learnt it by hand later :D... Best IDE's in my opinion for Java? Well If you're using Windows, Netbeans, and for Linux/Ubuntu Eclipse. A quick Google of the names should take you to the respective homepage.

thanks both of you , for taking interest .

Regards

@cOrRuPtG3n3t!x slap on the hand IntelliJ, Eclipse or NetBeans would work on any operating system so dividing them for Windows and Unix use only is pointless.

@waqasaslammmeo try any of above mentioned IDEs they are industry accepte and used solution, however do not expect them to provide drag&drop approach of development like in .NET. And as stultuske mentioned, maybe good idea to start with simple text editor and command line to get accustomed of "Java ways"

@cOrRuPtG3n3t!x slap on the hand IntelliJ, Eclipse or NetBeans would work on any operating system so dividing them for Windows and Unix use only is pointless.

@waqasaslammmeo try any of above mentioned IDEs they are industry accepte and used solution, however do not expect them to provide drag&drop approach of development like in .NET. And as stultuske mentioned, maybe good idea to start with simple text editor and command line to get accustomed of "Java ways"

*Ouch*
Lol yes, i was wondering if they would. Thanks for the discipline. Then Netbeans rules :)

Hmmm... why hasn't anyone suggested Geany ;)

or, if you want to develop applications using the Spring framework:
the Eclipse based SpringSource has some nice plugins.

Ohhh come on do not start IDE wars! Each of IDE is good and it is just up to personal preferences which you like most

PS: IntelliJ IDEA FTW ;)

Lol, to the asker: I agree completely with stultuske. You're better off coding sans an IDE, that will definitely help you learn the language better. But what you asked for - a .NET-based IDE WAS available, it's not available now, called Visual J++ (By Microsoft). It was their implementation of Java, but has been discontinued now. Just for a little history-related knowledge, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_J%2B%2B

It's not available now, and as for the IDE-war peter, NETBEANS #1

commented: netbeans all the way!! +9

I find most IDEs for Java sluggish, so I use Textpad. It has syntax highlighting and can run your compiler if configured properly.
I still just use the SDK directly to compile (Java, Assembly, Ruby, Python and Perl).

With that said:
I am a complete Visual Studio junkie for C#, VB or C++ (with or without IntelliSense).

thanks guys for your valuable time and comments , :)

God bless you all

Regards

commented: Repo4Following Forum Ethics :) +4
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.