Ok, so I'm writing a chat client/server and both the client and server are multithreaded to accept user input and read from the socket at the same time. Since it can do both at the same time, I'm trying to overcome the problem of the user typing in a message, and a message being read into the socket at the same times. When this happens, the message read in is place right after the message the user is typing. I figured the way to fix this was to make a separate line at the bottom of the page like the "Manual Page blahblahblah" thing at the bottom of the man pages. I have no idea how to do this though, and I don't know what it's called, so I don't even know where to start looking.

If somebody can help me, like give me a class or method or even just what this is called so that I can try to figure this problem out, I would be very grateful!

Thank you!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The terminal/console is not very programmable. It may be time to look at using GUI.

We're not allowed to use a GUI :/

Then the program will have to compete with the user for control of the contents of the console window.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.