Hi, are there any Java book available for some one who has NO knowledge about programming at all?

I tried books like head first java, thinking in java but they were no help.

Head first java started out with coding and I just knew nothing by reading the syntax.

Are there any books that starts java from fresh and explains everything etc?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

We use Java in Two Semesters at my university. Its really good, albeit abit slow but thats good for newcomers:) It covers alot of the basic conecpets of programming plus a good amount of the java framework!

"complete reference" is a good book to learn concepts of java

Take a look at Head First Java, if you have the opportunity to do so before buying it. It seems to be a book people either love or hate; The style of is offputting to many, but those who can get into it without being overly distracted often find it to be excellent. Thus, I don't recommend buying it sight unseen, but if you can check it out of a public library or read a preview version online, do so.

Mind you, I don't really recommend Java as a first language in the first place; While it is not as difficult to master as C++, it still involves a lot of boilerplate code that gets in the way of learning, IMAO. Python or Ruby would be better choices, for most newcomers; I personally favor Scheme, especially the classic Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (which, among other things, is available online for free, and can take you through a whole CS curriculum in 6 chapters), but that's very much a minority opinion these days - it is another 'love it or hate it' sort of book.

Mind you, I don't really recommend Java as a first language

While i mostly agree, and i did start learning programming in Python my self. Java i feel is the best langauge to learn the conecpt of object oriented programming. Personally i diidn't fully grasp the concept until learning java!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.