I have nearly finished teach yourself java in 21 days.

What should I do now to get good at programming, especially java but other languages would be nice.

BTW, java is my first programming language.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

You need to do a LOT of practice and get familiar with different Java libraries. Java is a good language. Get in the forum and ask questions anytime you want and we will help you out.

You could also try and think about some real world possibilities for writing code and then start writing. Why is it called writing code when we type it? Anyhow, practice makes perfect so practice a lot. I just perused the outline for Java in 21 days and there is so much more to learn but at least you have the basics. Other Java areas you should look into are Generics, Lists & Linked Lists, Mapping, Trees, GUIs, and many more but my brain just sto.... :)

it is hard to learn a programming language like Java in just 21 days or even a month that 31 days. Like Stuugie said, there is a lot more than just getting the basics down.

Good luck.

hi yup790,
ya you need lot of practice, we can refer oracle documentaion also,Just take one real world problem based on the problem write code you will learn lot of things

Just play around with the code. Make you own projects, like make your own calculator, or even make your own e-mail client(using javamail api). Practice makes perfect.

it is hard to learn a programming language like Java in just 21 days or even a month that 31 days. Like Stuugie said, there is a lot more than just getting the basics down.

rather correct: it is impossible to learn a programming language like Java in just 21 days.
what you can learn is: syntaxis, some basic rules and the very (very) core of Java. but in which depth? so, which topics were treated in that 21 days course, and how well do you know/understand them?

Java is way too big to completely learn, no matter how long you study (one of the characteristics of OO, everyone can create his own libraries and frameworks) so you can study for years and still only have "scratched the surface". but if you get enough experience, and know how to use documentation, your life 'll become a lot easier.

Make you own projects, like make your own calculator, or even make your own e-mail client(using javamail api).

Hopefully, we will get a thread that is going to have small projects for learners and java programmers to practise their knowledge. Just waiting for OPs to respond to our request.

I would also like to add that you should make mistakes, that way you learn.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.