I have just finished a PhD in Algorihmic Techniques, all written in C++. I would now like to work from home, with an option of commuting to London once a week. Could anyone suggest how I could get my first paid contart within algorithms.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

I have just finished a PhD in Algorihmic Techniques, all written in C++. I would now like to work from home, with an option of commuting to London once a week. Could anyone suggest how I could get my first paid contart within algorithms.

No offence kiddo, but getting a job in the real world isn't as easy as you think,or so I've heard. In fact most ppl find after finishing a degree they end up in a profession which has very little, or even nothing to do with the crap they were studying.

Employers these dayz look for experience over almost anything else.

You say you've studied the sounds of exhausts. Tee he he,very nice ;)
In that case, perhaps you should think about applying to car companies, formula 1 'n' stuff.

Although realistically, you probably find better luck applying to the marines or the royal air force. ???

You need to be more realistic. Let me be an employer for a second and I'll show you what will happen:

>I have just finished a PhD in Algorihmic Techniques, all written in C++.
Algorithmic Techniques, huh? So you're into theory and research? Well, we need someone who can write software, not someone who sits around all day thinking. It's too bad you don't have a PhD in something more useful. But at least you know some C++. We can actually make use of that if you're any good. But a lot of theorists we've interviewed don't know C++ from the back side of a sheep. They focus on theory instead of the practicalities of software engineering. We'll give you a call since you seem like such a hot market item...not.

>I would now like to work from home, with an option of commuting to London once a week.
Wouldn't we all. On the real world, you have to earn the reputation required to command that kind of benefit. Generally, people right out of school who think they can get ridiculous benefits are too full of themselves to be of any use to us. We'll give you a call since you don't seem like a pompous know-it-all primadonna...not.

The harsh reality is that a PhD doesn't mean anything to an employer. You need to be good enough at what they want to encourage them to hire you, and even then you'll start at the lowest rung unless you can prove that you're worth anything more. That's the way it is with every field, and computers are no different.

or might be a good job in any institutions or in uni, as prof or research....... so cheers! :)

hey thanks, i need a reality check, i need to find out what the market wants.. Im thinking of learning c#.net and building a website. Your views?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.