Help writing inventory program in vb!

I am writing a program that is a multi-form inventory program for a bookstore with data saved in a textbox.

Here is what I need to do:

Write a menu-driven multiform inventory program for a bookstore with data saved in a text file.

Help writing inventory program in vb!

I am writing a program that is a multi-form inventory program for a bookstore with data saved in a textbox.

Here is what I need to do:

Write a menu-driven multiform inventory program for a bookstore with data saved in a text file.

Each record of the text file should consist of 5 fields—title, author, category (fiction or nonfiction), wholesale price, and number in stock. At any time, the program should display the titles of the books in stock in a listbox.

The user should have the option of displaying either all titles or just those in one of the two categories. The user should be able to add a new book, delete a book, or alter any of the fields of a book in stock.

The adding and editing processes use the second form, frmDetails. At any time, the user should be able to calculate the total value of all books, or the total value of the books in either category.

The menu item File contains the two second-level menu items Save and Exit. The menu items Display and Values each contain the three second-level menu items All, Fiction, and Nonfiction. (Note: Store the data about the books in an array of structures.)

I attached pictures of what it needs to do and what I have so far.

Please start me off on where I need to go code wise. I wanted to attach code but I really have no idea where to start.

Thanks so much

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

If you don't have any code then we are not going to write it for you. First you have to acquire some programming knowledge and skills. Then you have to design your data structures and divide your project up into modules/subs/functions/etc and document the interfaces/functionality. Then you can start to code and test the pieces one by one. If this is beyond your present skill level then I suggest you start with something simpler and work your way up from there.

I think you are jumping the gun here, for example the decision to save your records is a decision for the technical design. At this stage you don't really even have functional requirements tied down, let alone a functional design. Start with a needs analysis, ie a detailed understanding of the need you are trying to address and from that derrive the functions that the software must perform. You can then start looking at how you are going to implement those functions technically and I am thinking it is probably not going to be a text file. Unless, of course, this is a student assignment in which case you should be writing it yourself.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.