Background: I have a friend who lets me use his MySQL database on hostedresource.com. He has successfully accessed the database with this snippet of PHP code:

mysql_connect ('dbname.db.1234567.hostedresource.com', 'dbname', 'password')

I tried to access the database with the following vb.NET code:

Imports MySql.Data.MySqlClient
Imports System.Data

Public Class classDataConnector
    Private connection As MySqlConnection

Public Event ExceptionRaised(ByVal errormessage As String)

Public Sub TestConnection()
        connection = New MySqlConnection
        connection.ConnectionString = "server=dbname.db.1234567.hostedresource.com;user id=dbname;password=password;database=dbname"

Try
            connection.Open()
            MessageBox.Show("Connection Opened Successfully")
            connection.Close()
        Catch sql_error As MySqlException
            RaiseEvent ExceptionRaised("Error Connecting to Database: " & sql_error.Message)
        Finally
            connection.Dispose()
        End Try
    End Sub
End Class

This code doesn't connect to the database. I get the following error message: "Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts." This is the same error message I get when I put random characters instead of the actual database location, although the exception is raised much faster when I do (versus the 30 seconds or more when I try to do it right).

I have searched everywhere I can find, but nobody seems to have this issue. Ragoune had a similar topic, but his code (unlike mine) actually found the database. My friend tells me that the database name and the user ID are the same.

Question: what am I doing wrong?

Ah, found it. The actual database host(not sure of the term?) was phpMyAdmin, which for whatever reason is just not compatible with vb.NET.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.