I'm working on a fairly basic program and can not seem to get it to work. I've checked my spelling and all that; the only thing I can think of is my main isn't able to find my class file.

Here's the error message:

ComplexDemo.java:10: cannot find symbol
symbol  : constructor Complex(double,double)
Complex a=new Complex(9.9, 7.7);
^

And the constructor in the class file:

public void Complex(double x, double y)
{
real=x;
imaginary=y;
}

When I remove the values it works fine but that sort of defeats the purpose. Any suggestions?

-Kai

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Can't you have a setter method. For example...

Complex.java

/*
 * Complex.java
 * Created on 30 April 2006, 17:37
 */

public class Complex {    
  private double imaginary;
  private  double real;

/**  @ Setter method
    */     
 public void Set(double x, double y)
 {
     real = x;
     imaginary = y;
 }

public void print()
 {
     System.out.println(real+" + "+imaginary+"i");
 }

}

Pedantic.java

/*
 * Created on 29 April 2006, 17:07
 */

class Pedantic {

public static void main (String [] args) { 

Complex a = new Complex();
a.Set(9.3,2.4);
a.print();

}

}

That does work, but I'm more concerned as to why the method I used doesn't. Also, while I'm not positive, I think what I need to do requires initializing with the values. Thank you for the help.

-Kai

Member Avatar for iamthwee

You could probably get it to work using your way, but I don't like how it would read.

I dunno???

:sad:

Well, the set works at the very least, no complaints there. I do have one more little glitch in this thing however.

I've got two classes, Addition and Subtraction, designed to receive two Complex objects and return one. In my program I've got this written;

d=Addition(a,b);

That nets me a 'cannot find symbol' error. Any ideas? And thanks again for the help, I greatly appreciate it.

-Kai

Ah, nevermind. Changed it to d=d.Addition(a, b) and everything worked out. Guess that's what I get for missing about two weeks of classes.

-Kai

I think the problem is that :

public void Complex(double x, double y)

is not a constructor. A constructor does not have a return type, and yes, even void is a return type.

Change to :

public Complex(double x, double y)

and it should work, i think :cheesy:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.