I have problem reading file form command line.
I am trying to do " abcd: ./rev < numbers", but it gives me an error:

./rev < numbers
Usage : 
 ./rev FILENAME

Here is the code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

void reverse(FILE * file) 
{
  int fscanf_return_value;
  char x;
  /* read a char */
  fscanf_return_value = fscanf(file,"%c",&x) ;
  if(fscanf_return_value == EOF) 
    { //fscanf returns EOF as the END OF FILE
      return;
    }
  reverse(file); //Get the next char
  //do something with the char e.g. print
  putchar(x);
  return;
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) 
{
 int i;
 FILE *fd;
 if (argc!=2) 
   {
     printf("Usage : \n %s FILENAME\n",argv[0]);
     exit(0);
   }
 if(!(fd=fopen(argv[1],"r"))) 
   {
     printf("Opening file error\n");
     exit(1);
   }
 reverse(fd);
 printf("\n\n\t---\tenoD - Done\t---\n");
 exit(0);
}

Also I can't read a file one per line, and prints them back out in reverse order. I need output like:
But I am getting:

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

when you type ./rev < numbers you are redirecting the contents of numbers into rev program. That is not what rev is expecting. Leave out the < symbol, just ./rev numbers (assuming numbers if the name of a text file)

Also I can't read a file one per line, and prints them back out in reverse order. I need output like:

A couple ways to solve that problem:

1. Read the file backwards. This is a little more complicated than reading the file forwards as normal because you have to back up the file pointer before every read.

2. Keep all the numbers in memory (linked list is good for that) then print them out backwards.

Thanks. So what should I do to redirecting the contents of numbers into rev program?

You don't need command-line argumnents. Delete lines 24-33 because you don't have a file to open. On line 24 substitute stdin for fp. stdin is always an open file that represents keyboard input and can also be used for redirected files.

reverse(stdin);

Thanks' Ancient Dragon. I appreciate.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.