Pseudo Code

Hello,

I have just joined a new class called "Programming Concepts". This subject is still very new to me. I am having trouble understanding what I need to do. If somebody could explain to me what my assignment means, I would really appreciate it. Providing some information would be great also. Thank you.This is what I need to do:

******A car dealer uses a software program to estimate the value of cars that are traded in for new vehicles.

For this assignment, use the fictitious scale of 1–100, with 100 representing a car in perfect condition. The dealer offers the buyer a trade-in value that calculates the retail value multiplied by the condition score. Cars that score under 50 are not accepted as trade-ins.

Using your understanding of variables and modules, address the following:

Create the problem analysis, flow chart, and pseudocode for the basic functionality of the application.
The pseudocode must consist of at least 10 lines.

PA -- 25%

FC -- 25%

PC -- 50%******

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

These sound like things specific to your programming class.

I've no idea precisely what's meant by "program analysis" but you probably won't be going far wrong if you identify the input from the user, the calculation to be done on the input, and the returned information to be displayed to the user.

The flow chart emphasises decision points and branches.

Pseudo code generally just means write out the steps in simple language that could easily be turned into code.

I think you've got to list down the exact problem, and a description of the most viable solution in "problem analysis". This is to be supported by flowcharts, diagrams, etc. :S

As Moschops said, just what 'program analysis' means is going to up to the professor; there isn't really any standard meaning to it. In general, it means identifying the variables of the problem, describing the steps needed to solve the problem, and describing what user input or data is needed to solve it.

A flowchart is (or was - who the hell still uses flowcharts in the 21st century?) a standard method of describing the flow of control in a program by means of a diagram. It uses different kinds of symbols to depict actions, conditions, input and output points, and so forth. You will want to draw it out by hand, or find some program that automatically generates the flowchart symbols for you such as Flowchart.com or Lucid Chart.

As for pseudocode, the answer will depend on the specific 'syntax' which your professor wants. Basically, it is a text description of the program flow, similar to but less formal than the actual program code. For example, part of the pseudocode for your problem might look like this:

if the car's score is greater than 50, then
    accept the car
else
    reject the car

How detailed the pseudocode has to be will depend on the level of abstraction at which you are working.

A flowchart is (or was - who the hell still uses flowcharts in the 21st century?)

I use them often. A whiteboard and an informal flowchart are handy for wrapping your brain around complex algorithms. They're also very useful for business process and workflow because business types (and techie types distressingly often) need pictures to understand what the hell you're talking about. ;)

Thank you for your help everyone. I will do my best to solve this problem.! ^_^

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.