I would like to start using the new fetures of c++0x like the constexpr. I currently have visual studio 2010 express c++ and I was wondering if there is a way to update the compiler but still use the same GUI?

Oh and if anyone know how to permanantly disable incremental linking. Please let me know.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Well, the good news is, a certain number of C++0x/C++11 features did make it into VS2010 and VS2012; the bas news is, constexprs weren't among them. A detailed explanation of which features are and aren't supported can be found here.

This leaves you with the prospect of using a different compiler with Visual Studio, something that is possible with the full version of VS but not the Express versions. The obvious choice for this would be GCC, which has a little better support for C++11 than the Microsoft compilers do, but getting it to work with VS is not easy; if you really wanted to use GCC, it would make more sense to ditch Visual Studio entirely in favor of something like Code::Blocks or Eclipse, either of which integrate much better with GCC. Since your main goal appears to be to use Visual Studio Express 2010, this probably isn't an option.

The Intel C++ compiler may be an option, but it is quite expensive (US$1500), and again, you would need the full version of VS2010 to support it.

A comparison of different compilers support for C++11 can be found here. As you can see, support for the new features is spotty at best, with all of the current compilers.

As for incremental linking, I don't know of any way to disable that in VC++ Express. Is there any particular reason you need to disable it?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.