Member Avatar for talat.zaitoun
def matrix(mat, num):
    for i in mat:
        for j in i:
            print(j * num)

So I'm trying to make a code that multiplies a matrix by a number, my code above is not working and i think the reason is the for statements could be wrong, so what i tried to do in my code is say for i in mat which should read each row and for j in i, it should read each value in a row. Then it supposed to multiply each value in the row my a num. Any help is appreciated thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I ran the code, and while it didn't print in the manner you probably would like, it does indeed multiply the matrix by a scalar. What problem are you experiencing with it?

First off, the name matrix() for this isn't really appropriate; it's matrix multiplication, whereas the name matrix() makes it sound like a class c'tor.

On that note, I would say that writing a Matrix class would be a good idea, given that you'll almost certainly want to do more than just multiply by a scalar and print out the results.

I would recommend separating the process of printing the matrix from that of multiplying it; this will, among other things, allow you to keep a copy of the new value, rather than simply display it.

I apologize I just realized I wasn't clear, I'm supposed to return the value as a matrix multiplied by a number but it only works when I use print if I change it to return it will multiply the matrix as a whole and not each value for ex it will do this 3*f = f f f, this is the problem I apologize again for the unclarity

You need to step through the matrix, just as you are now, but at the same time you need to generate a new matrix and assign the multiplied values to its elements.

def scalar_mult(matrix, scalar): 
    matrix_prime = list()
    for i in m: 
        vector = list()
        for j in i: 
            vector.append(j * scalar)
        matrix_prime.append(vector)
    return matrix_prime

Thank you, it worked but is it possible to do it without using append? Or is this the only way cause I have not learned append yet?

Off the top of my head, the two other approaches which come to mind - using the enumerate() operator, and using a list comprehension - would both involve things which you probably haven't used before, either. There may be others here who can think of still other approaches, I guess.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.