can anyone help me to create a program that alows me to make a regular conversation with the computer?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

How many years did you say you have to write/test that program??

can anyone help me to create a program that alows me to make a regular conversation with the computer?

If anyone can, they should contact the Turing Award committee immediately...

Seriously, this isn't anything even remotely trivial. Even a program like an ELIZA-class chatterbot is a sizable project, if you mean to have give it a significant 'phrasebook'. One that can accept a large number of varied inputs, such as Apple's Siri, is something that would take years for both programming and preparing the phrasebook. Even then, it is only a simulation of a real conversation, and tripping it up isn't difficult.

Creating a real, responsively conversational program would probably require solving the hard AI problem - that is to say, it would actually have to be a self-aware, sentient program - which is an ongoing research topic and may not even be possible.

commented: Great! I missed the chatterbot link... :-) +12

Do some research (google search) on Eliza! Here is a link to get you started: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

Natural language processing is very difficult - companies like Google, Microsoft, and others are doing serious work on these problems, but they are PhD-level ones. Here is another link to ACM articles and papers on the subject by an old friend, George White, with whom I worked closely in the 1980's: http://dl.acm.org/author_page.cfm?id=81337494364&coll=DL&dl=ACM&trk=0&cfid=285055344&cftoken=24851706

FWIW, George developed the first PC touch tablet in the early 1980's, and hired me to write drivers and tutorial software to help developers use it. I developed the anti-bounce algorithms that are (I think) still in use in current touch pads as a work-for-hire for his company in the Silicon Valley. That was 1984 (a hat-tip to George Orwell!).

Member Avatar for ArashVenus

You can just talk to me instead , Its much easier than writing the code you know .

The fact is , Its not possible (yet?) , people tried that since 50's , a computer is that good to defeat the world chess champion (with very limited resources at the time) , but Its not that good to speak with you in a way you don't figure out Its a machine .

Something to think about :
you say hello , computer says hello
you say hello again , comeputer gives you something from Its limited responses , while a human might ask you if you're going nuts (insane) ! (It also depends on his/hers personality)
you say hello again , the person might not even answer you , while the computer communicates using Its limited resources .
Are we ever able to make a program that can speak like a human ?

Are we ever able to make a program that can speak like a human ?

Just ask Lieutenant Commander Data from Star Trek or the darleks from Dr. Who :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.