i now able to save the fingerprint directly to database using this code...

Dim fingerprintData As MemoryStream = New MemoryStream
    Template.Serialize(fingerprintData)
    fingerprintData.Position = 0
    Dim br As BinaryReader = New BinaryReader(fingerprintData)
    Dim bytes() As Byte = br.ReadBytes(CType(fingerprintData.Length, Int32))
    Dim cn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection("Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=dataBEST;Integrated Security=True;Pooling=False")
    Dim cmd As SqlCommand = New SqlCommand("INSERT INTO fininger_table VALUES(@FIRSTNAME, @LASTNAME, @FINGERPRINT)", cn)
    cmd.Parameters.Add("FIRSTNAME", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = CaptureForm.tboxFname.Text
    cmd.Parameters.Add("LASTNAME", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = CaptureForm.tboxLname.Text
    cmd.Parameters.Add("FINGERPRINT", SqlDbType.Image).Value = bytes
    cn.Open()
    cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
    cn.Close()

now ? how to retrieve that fingerprint and matches to the user ? btw my device is DIGITAL PERSONA..tnx in advance

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Good luck! This is a non-trivial problem, and requires significant pattern analysis and statistical skills to solve. You can never say with 100% certainty that a particular fingerprint matches a specific person - only that there is some % of probability that it does. IE, if the pattern has a 90%+ match, then it is "good"...

Next point. Doing this in VB is probably an exercise in futility - possible, but REALLY slow! The computational overhead of this work is very high. Using a compiled language such as C or C++ is much more reasonable, at least for the low-level stuff, where you can take advantage of the system CPU math processing abilities.

From what I understand, fingerprints are not compared the way you would compare images. This is especially impractical considering the varying quality of fingerprints. Some are partials, others are smudged, etc. Instead, fingerprints are reduced to a numerical representation that describes certain characteristics (whorls, bifurcations, etc) and these represeentations are compared.

Try googling BLOB..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.