I have a difficult problem. I know there are so many 're' masters in python out there. So please help me. I have a huge log file. The format is something like this:

[text hello world yadda

lines lines lines

exceptions]

[something i'm not interested in]

[text hello world yadda

lines lines lines

exceptions]

And so on...
So Block 1 and 3 are same. And there are multiple cases like this. My ques is how can I read this file and write in an output file only the unique blocks? If there's a duplicate, it should be written only once. And sometimes there are multiple blocks in between two duplicate blocks. I'm actually pattern matching and this is the code as of now. It only matches the pattern but doesn't do anything about duplicates.

import re
import sys
from itertools import islice
try:
   if len(sys.argv) != 3:
      sys.exit("You should enter 3 parameters.")
   elif sys.argv[1] == sys.argv[2]:
      sys.exit("The two file names cannot be the same.")
   else:
       file = open(sys.argv[1], "r")
       file1 = open(sys.argv[2],"w")
       java_regex = re.compile(r'[java|javax|org|com]+?[\.|:]+?', re.I)  # java 
       at_regex = re.compile(r'at\s', re.I)    # at

copy = False  # flag that control to copy or to not copy to output

for line in file:
          if re.search(java_regex, line) and not (re.search(r'at\s', line, re.I) or re.search(r'mdcloginid:|webcontainer|c\.h\.i\.h\.p\.u\.e|threadPoolTaskExecutor|caused\sby', line, re.I)):
              # start copying if "java" is in the input
              copy = True
          else:
              if copy and not re.search(at_regex, line):
                  # stop copying if "at" is not in the input
                  copy = False

if copy:
              file1.write(line)

file.close()
       file1.close()

except IOError:
       sys.exit("IO error or wrong file name.")
except IndexError:
       sys.exit('\nYou must enter 3 parameters.') #prevents less than 3 inputs which is mandatory
except SystemExit as e:                       #Exception handles sys.exit()
       sys.exit(e)

I don't care if this has to be in this code(removing duplicates). It can be in a separate .py file also. Doesn't matter
This is the original snippet of the log file:

javax.xml.ws.soap.SOAPFaultException: Uncaught BPEL fault http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/:Server     
    at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.marshaller.impl.alt.MethodMarshallerUtils.createSystemException(MethodMarshallerUtils.java:1326) ~[org.apache.axis2.jar:na]
    at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.marshaller.impl.alt.MethodMarshallerUtils.demarshalFaultResponse(MethodMarshallerUtils.java:1052) ~[org.apache.axis2.jar:na]
    at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.marshaller.impl.alt.DocLitBareMethodMarshaller.demarshalFaultResponse(DocLitBareMethodMarshaller.java:415) ~[org.apache.axis2.jar:na]
    at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.client.proxy.JAXWSProxyHandler.getFaultResponse(JAXWSProxyHandler.java:597) ~[org.apache.axis2.jar:na]
    at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.client.proxy.JAXWSProxyHandler.createResponse(JAXWSProxyHandler.java:537) ~[org.apache.axis2.jar:na]
    at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.client.proxy.JAXWSProxyHandler.invokeSEIMethod(JAXWSProxyHandler.java:403) ~[org.apache.axis2.jar:na]
    at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.client.proxy.JAXWSProxyHandler.invoke(JAXWSProxyHandler.java:188) ~[org.apache.axis2.jar:na]
com.hcentive.utils.exception.HCRuntimeException: Unable to Find User Profile:null
    at com.hcentive.agent.service.AgentServiceImpl.getAgentByUserProfile(AgentServiceImpl.java:275) ~[agent-service-core-4.0.0.jar:na]
    at com.hcentive.agent.service.AgentServiceImpl$$FastClassByCGLIB$$e3caddab.invoke(<generated>) ~[cglib-2.2.jar:na]
    at net.sf.cglib.proxy.MethodProxy.invoke(MethodProxy.java:191) ~[cglib-2.2.jar:na]
    at org.springframework.aop.framework.Cglib2AopProxy$CglibMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(Cglib2AopProxy.java:689) ~[spring-aop-3.1.2.RELEASE.jar:3.1.2.RELEASE]
    at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150) ~[spring-aop-3.1.2.RELEASE.jar:3.1.2.RELEASE]
    at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invoke(TransactionInterceptor.java:110) ~[spring-tx-3.1.2.RELEASE.jar:3.1.2.RELEASE]
    at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172) ~[spring-aop-3.1.2.RELEASE.jar:3.1.2.RELEASE]
    at org.springframework.security.access.intercept.aopalliance.MethodSecurityInterceptor.invoke(MethodSecurityInterceptor.java:64) ~[spring-security-core-3.1.2.RELEASE.jar:3.1.2.RELEASE]
javax.xml.ws.soap.SOAPFaultException: Uncaught BPEL fault http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/:Server      
    at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.marshaller.impl.alt.MethodMarshallerUtils.createSystemException(MethodMarshallerUtils.java:1326) ~[org.apache.axis2.jar:na]
    at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.marshaller.impl.alt.MethodMarshallerUtils.demarshalFaultResponse(MethodMarshallerUtils.java:1052) ~[org.apache.axis2.jar:na]
    at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.marshaller.impl.alt.DocLitBareMethodMarshaller.demarshalFaultResponse(DocLitBareMethodMarshaller.java:415) ~[org.apache.axis2.jar:na]
    at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.client.proxy.JAXWSProxyHandler.getFaultResponse(JAXWSProxyHandler.java:597) ~[org.apache.axis2.jar:na]
    at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.client.proxy.JAXWSProxyHandler.createResponse(JAXWSProxyHandler.java:537) ~[org.apache.axis2.jar:na]
    at org.apache.axis2.jaxws.client.proxy.JAXWSProxyHandler.invokeSEIMethod(JAXWSProxyHandler.java:403) ~[org.apache.axis2.jar:na]  

And so on and on....

You could parse the log file line by line, and see if there are duplicate lines:

def uniq(inlist):
    return [i for i in inlist if inlist.count(i) > 1 and not inlist.remove(i)]

So for your log,

for i in uniq(open("log.txt").readlines()): print i,

this would be the output

'''
    '''

Assuming that this is what you want:

My ques is how can I read this file and write in an output file only the unique blocks?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.