Hey everyone, im new at c programming, i was gonna do c++ but there was no c++ book at my library lol. Anyhow, i notice that all the programs I write open up in DOS, and my book doesnt say nething on how to change this. Im using Dev c++ compiler. Could some1 tell me how to make it so my programs open up with windows instead of DOS please?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

C is DOS based, as is C++ or Java... of course, we are talking the basics of learning the language. When you learn a language, there are a lot of factors. If you want to develop Windows applications, you could use Visual C++ or Visual Basic or other GUI developers. In C or C++, you can begin creating classes and objects, take it step at a time and let me how it goes.

Ahh ok thanks for that lol .I was getting tired of looknig for an answer. See i wanted to learn how to do c \ c++ cuz theres this game i like that says it was written in c++. So ill try to do that visual c and GUI. Thanks.

Dev-C++ can compile Windows apps, just as easily as Visual Studio.

Please note that writing a game is not a good project to start on. I hope you realize this. Start by coding a console app, because they are the easiest to understand. You should work through your entire book before attempting anything near a game.

When you do start writing a game, start with a simple 2D one, because extensive math knowledge is not neccessary. Once you have got the basics down, you can choose to stay in 2D or move into 3D.

You can also view the discussion we were having here:
http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=79595

Hope this helps

--Joe

Yeah i know games isnt a good project, but i already learned the basics. Functions, loops, etc. Now i just need to implement graphics in it because having text based things just doesnt seem very appealing to me. I would just like for someone to point me to a good rsource on opengl or directx something like that.

Anyhow, i notice that all the programs I write open up in DOS, and my book doesnt say nething on how to change this.

Well, I'd say first learn to understand the difference between a console application and a GUI application. A black rectangle does not equal DOS.

Doing graphics requires you to leave the language proper and enter some 3rd party library. So you get to learn (usually poorly in each) 2 things at the same time.

I would just like for someone to point me to a good rsource on opengl or directx something like that.

If you are really serious, then a simple google of those terms has already given you the best resources -- the home sites -- so what is it that you are really trying to say? It sounds like you don't actually want to read the piles of information that you would be required to consume to understand what it is that you are trying to do. [I'm not trying to be as negative as I probably sound.]

No point in learning OpenGL and Direct X since they are extensively for Engine Developers which is i hope wat u dont want to be since it requires ground breakin concetps and requires years of work before you can make your own engine.

Better use 3rd party game engines like OGRE or Irrlicht.
Though it involves learning the 3rd party syntax, it will spare you of all the hard work. (image writng a 1000 LOC code just to read and display a Image file).

Many Indie developers use such libraries.
So if your concepts are strong and you just want to dive in game progg. 3rd party libraries are for you.

For more details if you are intrested PM me.

Hope it helped.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.