Hello everybody. After 3 hours of constant searching, I have finally given up on finding a program that recovers a password protected word document. So, I coded my own program that goes through every single letter combination of any desired length. Now, all I need to do is have the program talk to my protected document. How can this be done?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

How long do you think this will take? FWIW, there are functions that will let you inject characters into the keyboard buffer so that they can be read by a program just like you had typed them in yourself. I haven't done this in a monkey's age (about 20 years probably), and I don't know what the appropriate Windows C/C++ functions would be to do that. The main thing is that a brute-force attack like this may take longer than the heat-death of the universe - certainly longer than you can expect to live!

rubberman, thank you for replying. My code will run through a 5 character password in just under 9 seconds. After doing the math, a 9 character password would take over a month XD. My uncle, however, has a few 16 core computers he uses for work and I bet he'll let me use them. My computer only has 2 cores. That, and the CPU is old and quite slow. So idk how long it will take. And if that fails, I can always GPU accelerate my code and run it on the Nvidia Test Drive (I'm speaking like it's nothing, of course). But anyway, if you could give me a little more info on injecting characters into the keyboard buffer, that would be great.

PS: This code can also be in C#.

After doing some research, I take back what I said about the code having the ability to be written in C#. And, I have found a solution to GPU accelerating my code. If I really want to commit to it and if I find an answer to what this thread was started for, I might give it a shot.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.